Not too sweet, these one-layer moist lemon bars are an excellent grab-and-go energy snack at any time of the day.
- 1½ Tbsp chia seeds
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup oat flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch sea salt
- ¾ cup + 2 Tbsp shredded dried coconut, divided
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tbsp applesauce
- ¼ cup maple syrup or agave nectar
- ½ cup packed soft medjool or honey dates, pitted (about 8-9)
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Grease a 8×8” baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and chia seeds. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl mix together the oat flour, baking powder, salt, and ¾ cup coconut flakes. Sprinkle in the lemon zest and mix again until distributed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the coconut oil, apple sauce, and agave nectar. Mix in the soaked chia seeds. Chop the pitted medjool dates finely, and mix in with the other wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir until blended. Spread the mixture into the prepared baking pan, and use a spatula to flatten out the surface. Sprinkle remaining 2 Tbsp coconut on top, patting them down lightly into the mixture.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes, until edges begin to turn golden brown. Cut while warm into squares. Makes 16 2”x2” squares.