I think by now most of us know that when it comes to skin care, the best products to use are those that are safe enough to eat. But did you know that it's just as easy to create your own food-grade Read
What if I told you there's a simple wellness trick that only takes five minutes a day, costs nothing, and helps cleanse your body, inside and out? Dry skin brushing has a number of health benefits and is so simple to do.
So how does it work?
Your skin, the largest organ in the human body is an organ of elimination. One third of your body’s toxins are excreted through the skin and dry brushing helps to unclog pores and excrete toxins that become trapped in the skin.
To get started, follow the simple steps below:
1. Purchase a natural (not synthetic) bristle brush with a long handle so can reach all areas of your body.
2. Get naked and stand in a bathtub or tiled surface to catch the falling skin. (It's a bit gross, I know.)
3. Begin brushing by starting at your feet and moving in long sweeping motions toward your heart. Always brush toward your heart.
4. Brush several times in each area, overlapping as you go.
5. Take care as you brush over more sensitive areas, like breasts. Your skin will become less sensitive the more you dry brush.
6. Once you've brushed your entire body, jump in the shower. (I like to alternate between the hottest water temperature I can tolerate and the coldest. This stimulates blood circulation, bringing more blood to the top layers of the skin.)
7. After getting out of the shower, pat dry skin and apply a natural fruit oil like rose hip or coconut oil.
8. Continue to dry brush your entire body every day. Twice a day is recommended for best results. Remember to clean your brush with soap and water once a week. Leave to dry in a clean, sunny spot to avoid any mildew accumulation on your brush.
Try this for 30 days and see the results for yourself!
Some benefits of dry skin brushing:
1. You'll exfoliate dead skin.
Forget your in-shower loofah and body scrubs, this will ensure you have silky-smooth skin all year round!
2. It stimulates your lymphatic system.
Dry brushing your skin will kick start your lymphatic system, which helps you remove toxins from the body. The stiffer the bristles on the brush, the better the lymphatic stimulation you’ll create.
3. Dry brushing helps to reduce cellulite.
Cellulite is simply toxic materials that have accumulated in your body’s fat cells and are trapped, unable to be eliminated from the body. Forget lipo, dry skin brushing helps to break down any trapped toxins from within the body and help your body eliminate them through its usual elimination channels.
4. It unclogs pores and de-congests skin.
Dry skin brushing unclogs your skins pores and helps your skin absorb more nutrients. Daily skin brushing promotes healthy, breathing skin. It's a real treat for the largest organ in our bodies!
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
To learn more about detoxes, check out our video course 14-Day Detox.