5 Natural Flu + Cold Fighters
The best way to scare away a cold or flu is to nip it in the bud as soon as you start to experience symptoms. Everyone knows it’s a good idea to drink lots of water and take it easy when you feel like you’re getting sick, and this is great! But sometimes we need a little more for the fight. 

Here are some quick, easy, and effective cures and preventative remedies for these wintertime bugs. As soon as I feel a little cold coming on, swollen lymph nodes, or a post -nasal drip, I go for these tough little fighters.

1. Raw garlic. 

Garlic is a lovely natural antibiotic, and a wonderful immune system booster. To take garlic, simply peel and chop ½ large clove into small pieces. Now, gather up the pieces and swallow them whole, as if you were taking your vitamins for the day. If you’re brave, you can even chew the pieces and take them like that.

2. Oregano leaf extract. 

Oregano is another powerful antibiotic, and boy, is it strong! You can buy tinctures of oregano leaf at your natural foods store. Simply take half to 1 full dropper of oregano liquid under the tongue. Hold it there as long as you can! It will sting, but you can handle it. Wash it down with a glass of fresh water.

3. Magic cold flu paste. 

This one’s my favorite. This is something you can make right in your kitchen with a combination of a few healthy antimicrobial ingredients:
  • 1 TBSP raw honey
  • ½ clove raw garlic (minced)
  • 1/8 TSP cinnamon
  • ½ inch fresh ginger, (peeled and minced)
  • ¼ inch fresh turmeric root (peeled and minced)
Mix all 5 of these ingredients together and stir it into a nice paste, then eat it! Its actually quite delicious, the honey does a nice job of making it all very palatable. Do this at the first sign of symptoms, and again before bed that night. Take some again in the morning and until you feel well. This has worked miracles with me. Magic! If you only have some of these ingredients, go ahead and make it anyway, each of these has anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial properties and heal in their own ways.

4. Elderberry. 

Whether it is homemade elderberry syrup, frozen elderberries you picked last summer, or a tea made from this lovely plant, it’s a wonderful fruit to help pass a cold along. Take it any way you’d like.

5. Warm water with lemon. 

This is simple, uplifting and soothing. Warm lemon water is comforting to a sore throat, and helps move congestion along, with an extra vitamin C boost. Adding raw honey to this tea will also soothe the throat and bring on the healing. Ginger root is nice, too! 

These tools along with good rest and warm healing baths should have you feeling fine in no time. But remember to listen to your body, it may just be time to rest, relax, and enjoy the amazing healing our bodies are capable of.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

You May Also Enjoy

9 Easy Ways To Destress, Declutter & Simplify Your Life

My job as a functional medicine practitioner is to look at the at all the different factors that give rise to chronic and autoimmune diseases. A lot of those underlying factors are hormonal and Read

About the Author

Morgan Potts, owner of Moonblush Sacred Living is a holistic health coach working with women who want to cycle with the moon and feel more sacred and connected. Her focus is on embracing our womanly cycles, and embodying the sacred feminine in our own bodies. Enriched with ritual and flow, we can live a life that satiates us, and makes us feel alive. Morgan works with women online through her one-on-one coaching programs, and also leads the Facebook group Moonblush Sacred Women, where all things menstrual, spiritual, feminine and sacred are discussed! Both are aimed at reconnecting with this feminine flow, and understanding how to life a life more rich, connected and nourishing. Connect with her on Instagram: @moonblushsacred.

Comments
Popular