Advertisement
This ad is displayed using third party content and we do not control its accessibility features.
Close Banner
Advertisement
This ad is displayed using third party content and we do not control its accessibility features.

3 Ways To Get Yourself To The Gym Every Day—No Matter What

Chloe Lim
Author:
February 24, 2017
Chloe Lim
Written by
February 24, 2017

“I really need to start working out again,” my friend Lena said to me. "But the gym is so far and I don’t have any motivation."

Sound familiar? How many times has something like this happened to you? Promises of hitting the gym, goals of losing five, ten, 15 pounds. We try hard to stay motivated, but alas, we eventually give up. So what’s the key to consistency in working out? Simple: It's making it as easy as possible for you to go work out. The path of least resistance, if you will.

Here's what you need to know.

1. Location matters.

Find a gym that is the shortest distance from where you usually leave from to work out. What does that mean? If you usually leave from home to the gym, find one closest to home. If you want to start going to the gym after work, find one as close as possible to your workplace. If you live in the dorms, take advantage of the on-campus gym.

Photo by Stocksy

You can also try to move to the dorm closest to the gym to make it even more convenient. Maybe you live in an apartment and would rather not drive out to use the gym. Well, find a place that has a gym included as its amenities. During days when you are highly motivated, driving 20 minutes to a gym may not be a huge problem. But during the days when that motivation is towards low, this can make a difference. When you keep the distance to the gym short, you will be more likely to go.

2. Schedule it.

Google calendar is great. I love being able to see clearly what meetings or engagements I have at what time and even schedule reminders that pops up on my phone and computer. I find that intentionally blocking out a chunk of time and labeling it “gym” is like making a commitment to myself. Once I have made this commitment, I try to stick to it as best I can. I think intrinsic motivation is most effective but to help you get started/very lazy days, you could try a reward system.

3. Set it on repeat.

You can’t go to the gym twice a month and expect to see abs a month later. Our bodies don’t work that way (unfortunately). So set a routine and stick to it. Check out this simple visual hack to help you to maintain your consistency.

Long story short, consistency is key to seeing progress and results. The more consistent you are, the faster it will be for you to see results. What are you waiting for? Get started!

Watch Next

Enjoy some of our favorite clips from classes

Watch Next

Enjoy some of our favorite clips from classes

What Is Meditation?

Mindfulness/Spirituality | Light Watkins

Box Breathing

Mindfulness/Spirituality | Gwen Dittmar

What Breathwork Can Address

Mindfulness/Spirituality | Gwen Dittmar

The 8 Limbs of Yoga - What is Asana?

Yoga | Caley Alyssa

Two Standing Postures to Open Up Tight Hips

Yoga | Caley Alyssa

How Plants Can Optimize Athletic Performance

Nutrition | Rich Roll

What to Eat Before a Workout

Nutrition | Rich Roll

How Ayurveda Helps Us Navigate Modern Life

Nutrition | Sahara Rose

Messages About Love & Relationships

Love & Relationships | Esther Perel

Love Languages

Love & Relationships | Esther Perel

Related Videos (10)

What Is Meditation?

Box Breathing

What Breathwork Can Address

The 8 Limbs of Yoga - What is Asana?

Two Standing Postures to Open Up Tight Hips

How Plants Can Optimize Athletic Performance

What to Eat Before a Workout

How Ayurveda Helps Us Navigate Modern Life

Messages About Love & Relationships

Love Languages

Advertisement

More On This Topic

more Mindfulness
Advertisement
Advertisement