10 Simple Acts Of Radical Self-Care
You May Also Enjoy

9 Steps To Forgive Those Who've Hurt You

I serve as the Director of the Stanford University Forgiveness Projects and have led the largest research project to study the effects of forgiveness on hurt individuals. I have taught forgiveness Read

Before I was diagnosed with cancer, I thought that an act of self-love was a bit woo-woo and something you'd hear about from a peace sign, floaty-skirt wearing kinda hippy – not that there is anything wrong with that!

I love peace, I love floaty skirts and who doesn’t love hippys! My point is that I thought I was too cool to practice self-love.

But nowadays, it's something I make a priority for myself as part of my “extreme self-care regime.” When you respect yourself, you respect your body, which has a domino effect on every other area of your life.

As a result of carving out time for self-love activities, you feel happier and more positive which leads you to make better decisions such as better food choices and saying no to things you really don’t want to do and people you don’t wish to surround yourself with.

There are many acts of self-love so to give you some idea of what you could do, here are 10 of my favorite acts of self-love.

1. Meditate.

By carving out time to step away from people, your computer, work and the stresses of everyday life, you allow yourself the opportunity to connect with your spirit, the essence of your being. Hanging out in stillness is a surefire way to cultivate a loving experience of life.

2. Eat clean and green.

Dumping the toxic junk and reducing or eliminating your consumption of animal products while loading up on glorious life-sustaining enzyme-packed plant foods tells your body that you respect it and love it and I guarantee it will love you right back.

3. Live in the present moment.

Training your mind to stay present rather than staying stuck on the never ending conveyor belt thinking about the past, you are able to experience and enjoy where you are in every moment, the NOW, which is all you ever have.

4. Walk in nature.

Getting outside and making friends with the birds and the bees helps you to get reacquainted with every form of life and reminds you of the beauty that exists around you always.

5. Take a duvet day.

Sometimes we just want to retreat from the world yet the guilt we feel for doing so spoils our time out. So take a duvet day, enjoy it and get back to work the next day.

6. Forgive yourself.

Set yourself free from the chains you’ve encased yourself in. If you are regretting a bad decision, wish you’d done something differently or simply have a habit of giving yourself a hard time, forgive yourself for everything you’ve done that you wish you hadn’t. You’re human, we all make mistakes and the key is to learn from them and move on.

7. Take a sabbatical from your electronic life.

Turn off your phone, computer and TV; run a bath, read a good book or write in your journal. Spend some time alone.

8. Trust your intuition.

Numbers 1, 3,4 and 7 of this list will help you build a stronger connection to your intuition so that you can hear it more clearly and then follow it.

9. Get a massage, body scrub, facial or book yourself into a spa for a day or weekend.

Treat yourself to what you deserve.

10. Do what you LOVE.

Make a list of all the things you love to do including things or activities you have been wanting to do for a while and MAKE TIME for them.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

You May Also Enjoy

What I Learned When I Finally Embraced My Sexuality

For years, I stuffed down the fact that I was gay. I so badly wanted to fit in with everyone else that I lived my life to appease others. I became used to invalidating my true and authentic self. Read

To learn more about how to have a great relationship or meditation, check out our video courses How To Have The Greatest Relationship Of Your Life and The Essential Guide To Meditation.
About the Author

Polly Noble is a lifestyle advisor and certified health coach. Having been diagnosed with cancer twice before the age of 28, she dedicates her life and work to empowering and enabling others to live as healthy and happy as naturally as possible through her daily articles on nutrition, self-care, beauty and wellbeing at Polly's Path to Health & Happiness. She is also author of The Cancer Journey-Positive Steps to Help Yourself Heal and several recipe books.

Comments
Popular