10 Simple Acts Of Radical Self-Care
Before I was diagnosed with cancer, I thought that an act of self-love was a bit woo-woo and something you'd hear about from a peace sign, floaty-skirt wearing kinda hippy – not that there is anything wrong with that!
I love peace, I love floaty skirts and who doesn’t love hippys! My point is that I thought I was too cool to practice self-love.
But nowadays, it's something I make a priority for myself as part of my “extreme self-care regime.” When you respect yourself, you respect your body, which has a domino effect on every other area of your life.
As a result of carving out time for self-love activities, you feel happier and more positive which leads you to make better decisions such as better food choices and saying no to things you really don’t want to do and people you don’t wish to surround yourself with.
There are many acts of self-love so to give you some idea of what you could do, here are 10 of my favorite acts of self-love.
1. Meditate. By carving out time to step away from people, your computer, work and the stresses of everyday life, you allow yourself the opportunity to connect with your spirit, the essence of your being. Hanging out in stillness is a surefire way to cultivate a loving experience of life.
2. Eat clean and green. Dumping the toxic junk and reducing or eliminating your consumption of animal products while loading up on glorious life-sustaining enzyme-packed plant foods tells your body that you respect it and love it and I guarantee it will love you right back.
3. Live in the present moment. Training your mind to stay present rather than staying stuck on the never ending conveyor belt thinking about the past, you are able to experience and enjoy where you are in every moment, the NOW, which is all you ever have.
4. Walk in nature. Getting outside and making friends with the birds and the bees helps you to get reacquainted with every form of life and reminds you of the beauty that exists around you always.
5. Take a duvet day. Sometimes we just want to retreat from the world yet the guilt we feel for doing so spoils our time out. So take a duvet day, enjoy it and get back to work the next day.
6. Forgive yourself. Set yourself free from the chains you’ve encased yourself in. If you are regretting a bad decision, wish you’d done something differently or simply have a habit of giving yourself a hard time, forgive yourself for everything you’ve done that you wish you hadn’t. You’re human, we all make mistakes and the key is to learn from them and move on.
7. Take a sabbatical from your electronic life. Turn off your phone, computer and TV; run a bath, read a good book or write in your journal. Spend some time alone.
8. Trust your intuition. Numbers 1, 3,4 and 7 of this list will help you build a stronger connection to your intuition so that you can hear it more clearly and then follow it.
9. Get a massage, body scrub, facial or book yourself into a spa for a day or weekend. Treat yourself to what you deserve.
10. Do what you LOVE. Make a list of all the things you love to do including things or activities you have been wanting to do for a while and MAKE TIME for them.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
About the Author
MBG Approved Products