SHARES

11 Easy Ways To Slow Down & Find Balance

I get upset when I catch myself rushing through life. Can you relate? Do you sit on the toilet and read your emails? If so, you, too, have rushing syndrome!

This can also take a toll on our health. We forget to take deep breaths, chew our food, laugh, and greet people with a smile. We're too busy to be happy and well-mannered ... because we're exhausted! 

Here are my top tips to slow down and bring balance to my days when I catch myself rushing…

Walk alone in nature, barefoot if you can.

Even if it's just for a few minutes a day, leave your phone at home and take a walk in nature. Connect your feet to the earth and take in the fresh air. This will really rejuvenate your mind.

Technology off!

A rule I live by is: all technology needs to be off by 9pm. The electromagnetic fields mess with the pineal gland in that brain that produces melatonin, the hormone responsible for sleep.

Another idea: Switch your phone to airplane mode for an hour or two during the day. This will give you some to rejuvenate and allow you get things done efficiently.

Practice yoga or some form of restorative exercise.

Yoga is an amazing way to stay in the moment. Yoga poses create an amazing stillness in the body, helping us to be in the moment and connect with our bodies.  If yoga's not for you, try lying down in a restorative pose. My favorite is to lie with my legs up against the wall and breathe for 10 minutes.

Don’t put so much pressure on yourself.

Start acknowledging how much you do, not what you don’t do. Sure, we should try to do our best, but it can be so harmful to our health to put crazy amounts of pressure on ourselves. 

Schedule some YOU time.

How delicious does that sound? Even just 5 to 10 minutes of YOU time will do you some good. Some ideas: go for a walk (outside and barefoot if possible!), read a book, practice yoga, get a massage, or watch your favorite TV show. 

Don’t be scared to say NO to social arrangements.

If you've had a busy day or week, ask yourself this: is a social arrangement going to me you good? Or is it going to exhaust me more? Your friends will always be there for you (if they're good friends). 

Keep your emails short and check them only 2x/day.

I refuse to allow my email to take over my life. I try to only check it once in the morning and once at night. People will understand that you cannot attend to their message instantaneously. Another tip: keep emails as brief as you can.

Make 8-hours of sleep a night a priority

Sleep is vital for all aspects of good health. Good sleep will make your days so less frantic!

Write in your gratitude journal.

Write down 5 things for which you are grateful each day. This really reminds us of what we have and how lucky we are. Gratitude is what keeps me grounded.

Deep belly breathe.

There is a science behind this. Belly breathing signals to the brain that everything is OK. This can be amazingly beneficial to control our stress levels and bring us back to stillness.

ENJOY a social media-free day.

Social media is certainly taking over my life. For many of us, it's an obstacle to being balanced and present. So let's aim for a social media-free day and connect with our loved ones instead. Maybe even read a book :)

Explore More

The Complete Guide To Yoga

Related

Stuff We Love