An Easy-to-Make Raw Pie Recipe
I like to think of this as the ultimate raw pie recipe. The inspiration came when I saw a photo of a Pavlova cake, which is basically a white meringue base topped with whipped cream and berries.
Nothing hard, but so fancy! I even found a vegan meringue mix, but turns out that the Australian company selling the mix is nowhere to be found in Europe.
I didn’t gave up, but I wanted it right now, so I started thinking of alternatives. Raw pie sounded like one. I found the best whipped cream recipe made from coconut. Then I created the pie base, using peeled almonds and cashew nuts. And then I added the finishing touches: homemade blueberry jam and fresh berries.
I hope you like it as much as I did!
For the Base
- 1 cup soaked & peeled almonds
- 1 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup liquid sweetener (agave or honey)
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
1. Soak the almonds for 24 hours and peel them if you want white pie base.
2. Pour everything into the food processor and blend for 1-2 minutes, until it starts sticking together and forms a ball. If your sweetener is not in liquid form, add a little bit of water.
3. Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces for 5 inches (13 cm) pie forms.
4. Place plastic foil in the pie forms, wet your hands and spread the dough in the forms.
5. Dehydrate for 18 hours at 115°F (46°C). At some point, remove the base from the pie forms to dehydrate it evenly, I did it after 12 hours to make sure it’s hard enough and won’t collapse.
For the Filling
- 1-2 cups home made blueberry jam
- 1 can coconut milk/cream
- 1/3 vanilla bean
- 4 teaspoons sugar (I used coconut blossom sugar)
- 1 cup mixed berries
1. My personal advice for the jam is to use vegan cooked jam. But if you want to keep it all raw, mix blueberries with de-pitted dates, blend and dehydrate with the base, but in a different pot.
2. Instructions with photos for the coconut whipped cream can be found here. You can beat it with your food processor, but do it at least for 3-4 minutes. I whipped it for only 2 and found it was a bit too liquid. Also, it will help if you place the bowl for 1-2 hours in the fridge before and after whipping the cream.
1. Spread the jam on the base, do it carefully using 2 spoons.
2. Add the whipped cream on top.
3. Top with fresh berries.
4. Enjoy the raw pie moderately. It’s addictive :)
5. Makes 6 raw pies.
Photo Credit: Nadia Petrova
To learn more about plant-based nutrition, check out The Ultimate Guide To Plant-Based Nutrition With Rich Roll.
About the Author
This guided meditation course will teach you numerous meditation techniques that will change your life!view course
This nutrition course will teach you the basics to help you incorporate a plant-based diet into your everyday life!view course
MBG Approved Products