A Green Smoothie is a mixture of fresh fruits and greens, blended for a nutrient-packed breakfast, lunch or snack.
They are great for weight loss, colon health and as an easy way to get more minerals and fresh foods into the diet. But an added bonus is that they've been known to reverse gray hair, naturally!
The Green Smoothie was actually "invented" in the 1970's by Ann Wigmore, who went on to write many books on natural health and healing, including The Hippocrates Diet. She called the Green Smoothie her "energy soup."
Wigmore started drinking these smoothies when she was in her 50s, and had a full head of gray hair. Soon, her hair reversed itself back to a natural brown color.
When she was in her 80s, her students cut a piece of her hair and sent it to the lab for analysis to prove that she was not dyeing it!
Wigmore claimed that grey hair is linked to mineral deficiencies, and when the body is able to boost its mineral reserves, the natural color returns.
Personally, my hair became darker after I started drinking these smoothies four years ago. (I swear!) I've also had at least five clients who, after drinking these every day for several months, experienced the same results. So greens may be more beneficial than we realize.
Here are some general tips to making your own Green Smoothies:
- Blend 60% fruit to 40% greens in a blender.
- Keep in mind that cucumber, tomato and bell peppers are fruits.
- You can start to mix more fruits and greens as you become confident in your flavor combinations.
- Add water and/or high-water content fruits first.
- Then add greens, blend again.
- Blend different fruits and greens every day.
- Try different combinations and find what tastes best to you
Are you ready to try a Green Smoothie? Here's a recipe to get you started:
- 2 bunches bok choy
- 1 handful arugula
- 2 oranges
- 1 mandarin
- A few shavings fresh ginger (about a quarter inch)
- Half tsp. blue green algae powder
- Half tsp. chlorella powder
- 1 capsule probiotic powder
- Half lime, squeezed
- 1 cup water
Carefully wash all greens and peel the oranges and mandarin.
In a blender, add the water, fruits, powders and fresh ginger and blend until smooth.
Add the greens and blend again.
Finally, open the probiotic capsule and add the powder to the smoothie, blending one last time until smooth.
Smoothie will keep for up to two days in the fridge, but is best if consumed immediately.