This little cake is easy to make and has an intense chocolate nutty flavor. It's great for a sweet snack or dressed up for an after-dinner delight.
Chocolate Walnut Cake
1/2 cup walnuts, ground
1 cup unbleached white flour
2/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup maple syrup
4 ounces vegan sour cream
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup Earth Balance or other vegan butter
1/2 cup chocolate soy milk or vanilla soy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Spray an 8" x 8" baking dish or a 9" round pan with canola oil.
3. Prepare Cake: Grind walnuts in the food processor until they have a flour-like consistency. Be careful not to grind them into a paste. In a medium bowl, mix walnuts, flours, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder together. Set aside.
4. In another medium mixing bowl, stand mixer, or food processor, blend the canola oil, maple syrup, and sour cream together until creamy. Add water and mix again.
5. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix until well combined, being careful not to overmix. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread batter evenly.
6. Bake about 30 minutes or until the cake springs back when touched in the middle and is pulling away from the sides of the pan. Remove from oven to cool.
7. Go around the sides of the cake with a knife and gently turn over onto a plate.
8. Prepare Frosting: Blend all ingredients in food processor or blender until creamy.
9. Assemble Cake: Frost the top and then the sides of the cake. Sprinkle with walnuts and garnish with fresh raspberries.
Starting January 1, we're sharing 31 tips to tap into your happiest, healthiest self. Sign up now and you'll also get a free Clean Eating Guide with easy recipes, shopping lists, expert advice, and more.
Sign up and start doing you!
We've encountered an error with your email address. Please try again. If this problem persists, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
By joining New Year, Do You, you are also signing up for mindbodygreen's newsletter.