Morning decadence at its best -- vegan style. Simplify the recipe by skipping the Amaretto Crème and serving it with fresh berries and a bit of maple syrup. Although, if you're a sucker for anything almond-flavored, the crème is a must.
French Toast with Amaretto Crème
1 cup raw cashews, soaked for a few hours to overnight in water (to soften)
1 can coconut milk (for raw version, blend 1/2 cup coconut meat with 1 cup coconut water)
1/2 cup nondairy milk of choice
1/2 cup amaretto liquor
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean, scraped
1/4 cup agave
Pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup raw almond butter or cashew butter
11/2 cups vanilla almond milk
1/4 cup whole spelt flour
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup maple syrup or date paste
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg powder
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
Sea salt, to taste
Whole-grain baguette or your favorite whole-grain bread (whole-grain cinnamon raisin bread is superb as well)
3 tablespoons Earth Balance or any vegan butter
Toasted pecans (optional)
1. Prepare Amaretto Crème: In a high-speed blender, blend all ingredients until smooth.
2. Prepare French Toast: In a medium bowl, whisk the almond butter, almond milk, flour, yeast, cinnamon, maple syrup, nutmeg, vanilla, and salt to make the batter, or blend ingredients in blender until smooth. Set aside.
3. Slice the baguette or other bread in thick slices. Dip bread slices into batter. Allow each slice to sit in the batter for a minute, which helps it absorb more.
4. Add tablespoon vegan butter to a flat pan, flat grill, or large sauté pan on medium heat. Once melted, add battered bread slice. Add additional tablespoon of vegan butter for each bread slice. (It’s okay if the slices are wet with lots of batter—this is what creates the delicious crust.)
5. Cook on medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip with spatula, and cook other side until lightly golden.
6. Serve: Drizzle Amaretto Crème on while French Toast is still warm and top with a generous handful of fresh berries and pecans.
Starting January 1, we're sharing 31 tips to tap into your happiest, healthiest self. Sign up now and you'll also get a free Clean Eating Guide with easy recipes, shopping lists, expert advice, and more.
Sign up and start doing you!
We've encountered an error with your email address. Please try again. If this problem persists, contact email@example.com.
By joining New Year, Do You, you are also signing up for mindbodygreen's newsletter.