3 Benefits of Sweet Potatoes + 1 Yummy Recipe
There's no need to hold off on sweet potatoes until the holidays. This superfood is a nutritional all-star and should be incorporated into your diet year round. Here are three reasons why:
1) Sweet potatoes are naturally anti-inflammatory. Chronic inflammation especially in the gut makes us eat more and absorb less nutrition from our food. Eating anti-inflammatory foods such as sweet potatoes in place of inflammation causing food such as wheat can give us the energy we need while healing our bodies at the same time.
2) Sweet potatoes are a complex carbohydrate that burn slowly in our system. Filled with fiber, which naturally slows digestion, energy is released gradually into our body and cells. This slowed digestions provides a steady state of energy and keeps us full longer.
3) Sweet potatoes are a nutrition-dense, power-packed, superfood. Sweet potatoes contain high amounts of Vitamin E an antioxidant that helps protect our bodies from free radicals. Plus, they contain more then 100 percent of the daily requirement for Vitamin A (beta-carotene), helping our vision stay in tip-top shape.
Here’s a new way to incorporate more sweet potatoes into your diet:
Sweet Potato Linguine with Browned Butter Sage Sauce
- 1 large sweet potato (about 1 pound), peeled
- 6 sage leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- With a mandolin or vegetable peeler, slice sweet potatoes lengthwise as thinly as possible. Cut each slice into ¼-inch strips; set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add sage; cook until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Add sweet potato strips to remaining butter in pan. Cook and stir until al dente.
- Crumble 2 of the reserved sage leaves over sweet potato; stir.
- To serve, garnish with remaining sage leaves.
To learn more about plant-based nutrition, check out our video course The Ultimate Guide To Plant-Based Nutrition.
About the Author
Labor Day Sale!
End of Summer Savings
Sale ends in 4 days, 9 hours
2 days, 9 hours ago
4 days, 8 hours ago
5 days, 6 hours ago
6 days, 8 hours ago
7 days, 6 hours ago