5 Awesome Uses for Tea Tree Oil
A few weeks ago a friend of mine complimented my skin, noticing how much clearer it has been recently. She asked me what I've been doing differently and I let her in on one of my newest and most beloved beauty products – tea tree oil. Upon being introduced to this little herbal wonder by my significant other about a year ago, my life and beauty routine have both drastically changed for the better.

This essential oil is antibacterial and antimicrobial making it a safe and effective cleaning agent for your home and body. Additionally, tea tree oil has been found effective against certain fungal infections and lice! Made from leaves of the tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) in Australia, tea tree oil is effective in part due to the terpenoids contained in it that act as antimicrobial, antibacterial agents.

1. Your New Best Friend For Clearing Skin and Spot-Checking Blemishes

For those of us fortunate enough to have healthy skin with only the occasional outburst of blemishes, tea tree oil can be a godsend. A few drops of the essential oil on a cotton ball swabbed onto the troublesome spot can see results in just a few days. Plus it’s safer on your skin than harsh chemicals and alcohol.

2. The Ultimate Yoga Mat Cleaner

Tea tree oil can also be used to clean your yoga mat. Whip up a quick and simple batch of the best yoga mat cleaner ever – it’s organic, smells amazing, leaves no residue, and won’t hurt your skin or the environment! We’ve written about how easy it is to create your own natural yoga mat cleaner at home so there’s no reason to use sticky, toxic substances ever again!

3. Pink Eye BeGone

I know, it’s gross, but many of us have been or will be affected by pink eye at some point in our lives. No worries, tea tree oil is here to save the day! Steep a green tea bag in some hot water for a couple of minutes with 3 drops of tea tree oil. Once the bag is cooled down to a reasonable temperature for your skin (still slightly warm) place the green tea bag infused with tea tree oil on your closed eyelid for about 20 minutes.

4. Razor Burn and Ingrown Hairs

Razor burn and ingrown hairs are uncomfortable and unsightly and, if they become infected, downright painful. After shaving, gently swab some tea tree oil onto the affected part of your body with a cotton ball. For those using this technique near the bikini line, it may be best to dilute the essential oil with water as it can be quite potent!

5. Anti-septic to Heal Cuts & Burns

Aborigines in Australia would use tea tree leaves to heal cuts, burns and infections. Using a cotton ball or swab, gently apply tea tree to small cuts or light burns to aid in the healing process. As with ingrown hairs, it may be best to dilute the tea tree oil with water.

Tea tree oil has myriad uses around the home as a natural cleaner and can be used for aromatherapy and other healing pursuits. Please be sure to consult your doctor or homeopath prior to using tea tree oil for any medical purposes. Then go ahead and enjoy the benefits!

NOTE: Do not ingest tea tree oil orally. This oil can be toxic if swallowed so please only use externally!
You May Also Enjoy

The Best All-Natural Remedies For The Common Cold

A change in the season can take a toll on our health and this is often the time when we feel our immune systems taking a nose dive. Colds can manifest in our sinuses, chest, throat and nasal passage,  Read

About the Author
Camila Matos is an astronomy neophyte and eternal yoga student with a serious case of wanderlust. Raised in the tropical cosmopolis of Rio de Janeiro and the foggy urban mecca of London, Camila moved to Austin, Texas to attend college at the University of Texas where she received her B.A in French and B.S in Communications. Currently in the process of completing her 200-hr yoga teacher training through the Living Yoga Program, Camila hopes to teach prenatal yoga and help people find the same life-affirming, healing, therapeutic properties in yoga that she did. The free moments in between yoga and work are spent reading, playing with her boyfriend’s black lab, doing trivia with friends and swimming! Find her on Facebook and Twitter.
Comments
Popular