5 Easy Exercises You Can Do While Traveling
You May Also Enjoy

How To Eat Healthy While Traveling

One of the questions I get asked the most is how do I stay healthy when I travel. I know that this can be tough for lots of people, so I thought I'd share my five favorite tips with you. With a  Read

Summer is in full swing, and for many of us, summer means road trips! While there's nothing better than the thrill of the open road, there's not much worse than the stiff back and numb rear end that accompany hours of driving. 

My family and I just returned from an 11-day tour of Germany, Italy and France. Five people crammed into one small car... yikes! Great memories were made, but there were plenty of moments when physical (and mental) tension needed to be released. Enter what I like to call "car-cercises." 

The following seated exercises are a great way to keep back pain at bay, to increase circulation to the muscles of your legs and core, and to maintain some semblance of an exercise program while you're on the road. All can be done with your seatbelt on. Of course, they're only meant for the passengers — not the driver!

1. Seated crunch twists. 

Gently pull your abdominal muscles in toward your spine. Put your hands behind your head. Exhale as you bring opposite elbow to knee. Sit tall between sides. Complete 10 crunch twists on each side.

2. Water bottle-resisted hip adduction. 

Place a hard plastic or metal water bottle between your legs. Gently engage your pelvic floor muscles and then squeeze your legs together, pressing against the water bottle. Hold for 5-10 seconds, then release completely. Repeat 10 times.

3. Arm-resisted hip abduction. 

Lean forward and wrap your arms around your legs. Clasp your hands together. Keep your hands clasped together as you push your knees outward, pressing into your arms. Hold for 5-10 seconds, then release completely. Repeat 10 times.

4. Hip lifts. 

Place your hands on the roof of the car (as a modification, you can also place your hands on the seat to assist with this exercise). Gently engage the muscles of your core, including your buttocks, pelvic floor, and deep abdominal muscles. Press down into your heels and exhale as you lift your hips up off the seat. Hold for 5-10 seconds, then return your hips to the seat and release completely. Repeat 5 times.

5. Seated heart circles.

This one feels great and is so good for your spine. Place your hands on your knees and circle your ribcage to the left 5 times, and then to the right 5 times. Think of using your heart to draw a circle on the seat beneath you. 

Once you arrive at your destination, you might want to give my "Quick + Quiet Hotel Room Workout" a try, or just soak up the sun and enjoy a little R&R. Happy, healthy travels! 

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

You May Also Enjoy

I Tried Mountain Biking & It Totally Changed My Outlook

A few years ago, I rode a mountain bike for the first time. It was scary, exhilarating and I wanted more. But learning a new sport can be tough. It takes practice and commitment. Sometimes it just  Read

About the Author

Brianne Grogan is a women's health physical therapist who believes in the power of healthy living to create strong, happy women - the backbone of a thriving society. Brianne is the author of FemFusion Fitness for Intimacy and and the founder of FemFusion Fitness, which offers live and online fitness resources for women. Visit her on Facebook and follow her on Pinterest and YouTube.

Her newest offering is the Weekend Reboot, a safe and simple 2-day detox program.

Comments
Comments