9 Ways To Feel More Awake (Without Caffeine!)
You May Also Enjoy

Your Roadmap To Optimal Intestinal Health

When most people think about the gut, they think of digestion. But that’s just a small part of the picture. The truth is, the state of your gut determines the state of practically every other part of  Read

When was the last time you felt awake and energized all day long? It's been a while, hasn't it? Many of us suffer from energy highs and lows throughout the day, then we inject ourselves with caffeine so we can face the day. This continues all day long, with many of us wishing we could nap under our desks or throw our kids in front of the TV so we could have a few minutes of rest. Sound familiar? 

This energy roller coaster isn't the way to live. You'd be amazed at how much energy you could naturally have all day long simply by improving your diet. Diet is only part of it, however. Here is a holistic list of 9 things you can do to create more energy during your day: 

1. Get hydrated. 

This is your best friend. It helps flush toxins from your body, resulting in more energy, clearer skin and better digestion. Dehydration also leads to fatigue, because the less water you have in your system, the less oxygen is circulating in your blood stream. So drink up!

2. Get outside. 

Even when it's cold outside, the natural light and crisp air refreshes your body and mind. Try to get outside for at least 15 minutes a day.  

3. Add superfoods. 

Certain foods pack a major punch. Try things like leafy greens (kale, swiss chard, spinach, lettuce) and quinoa, or make a smoothie and add in goji berries or chia seeds. All of these foods are powerful sources of nutrition and energy.

4. Eat breakfast.  

Skipping breakfast might be the biggest perpetrator of energy crashes. Eating breakfast not only hooks you up with energy for the day — it's been shown to encourage weight loss. People who are famished tend to binge. We eat more to compensate for the missing calories that our bodies need when we wake up. Fuel up your body with healthy protein, healthy fat and fruit or veggies.

5. Upgrade your afternoon snack. 

Trade that afternoon sugary treat for an unprocessed and unrefined energy booster. Eat an apple with some raw almonds, or make a fruit smoothie. Having a bit of healthy fat will satiate your appetite. Which segues to...

6. Eat healthy fats. 

Fats from foods like avocado, olive oil, coconut and fish not only fuel your body and create a sense of satiety, they're powerful brain boosters that can lead to better focus and clarity. 

7. Change gears

Whether you're sitting at a desk or sitting at home trying to muster up the energy to do laundry, switch things up in the moment. If you're stuck at work, go into the bathroom and stretch; shake your arms, bend over and touch your toes. Do anything that will get your body in a different rhythm for a moment. If you have the luxury of privacy, crank up your favorite song and dance around your room. 

8. Look out for energy suckers. 

We all have people in our lives who drain our energy and leave us feeling exhausted. Our time is precious, and we should be spending it with people who lift us up and make us feel light, happy and energized. Try to identify how you feel after spending time with the people in your life. Increase the time you spend with the people who make you feel great, and limit the time you spend with people who exhaust you and leave you feeling depleted.

9. Clear some clutter. 

It's amazing how some purging can lighten your load and clear your mind. Just clearing out one cluttered drawer can lead to feelings of euphoria. 

So try a few or all of these and let me know what works! And please leave comments below — I love hearing from you!

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

You May Also Enjoy

Why I Feel Younger In My 50s Than I Did In My 30s

Back in my 30s, I used to feel like I had to drag myself through the day and keep myself going on coffee just to stay awake. Now, despite being in my 50s, I can keep up, I have energy to spare and  Read

About the Author

Cortney received her training as a Health Coach from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition’s cutting-edge Health Coach Training Program, studying over one hundred dietary theories, practical lifestyle management techniques, and innovative coaching methods. With her extensive knowledge in habit transformation, health coaching, and preventive health, she draws on these skills to help people with lifestyle changes that produce lasting results. She is a mother, avid tennis player, Nia teacher, culinary-dabbler and ambitious photographer. She is a graduate of Vassar College and holds a Masters Degree in Architecture from The Catholic University of America.

In her private practice, she coaches clients by phone worldwide, on how to reach their goals for health, weight loss, and self-actualization. Additionally, she presents workshops and lectures on living a healthy, passionate and balanced life.

To subscribe to her free newsletter for inspiration and news about upcoming programs, please visit her website at: http://www.cortneychaite.com.

Comments
Popular