This Is A Healthy One-Serving Chocolate Mug Cake — AKA All Of Our Dreams Have Come True
Jen Hansard’s wellness journey started with a simple green smoothie. Feeling sluggish and burnt out on the standard American diet, Hansard began adding in a smoothie every day, an easy tweak that transformed her health—and life. Now, she runs the Simple Green Smoothies brand and website and is the author of two cookbooks, including the brand-new plant-based Simple Green Meals. Since changing her diet, she’s also learned to fly planes, become an ultra-marathoner, and begun to approach her life with the new vibrancy that her health allows for.
None of this, of course, means that she forgoes treats. She created this single-serving mug cake as a way to quell a sweet tooth in a healthier way. “This dessert could not be easier to make—mix up the ingredients in a mug, pop in the oven, and dig into chocolatey heaven,” Hansard says.
Cacao Mug Cake
If you're in the mood for something extra decadent, add a tablespoon or two of vegan dark-chocolate chips on top of the batter before baking.
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon organic virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Crack the egg into an ovenproof mug or other container. Beat with a fork. Add the maple syrup and beat again. Then add the almond flour, cacao powder, oil, almond milk, vanilla, and salt, and stir until well-combined.
- Bake for 15 minutes for a fudgy cake or 20 minutes for a cakey texture. Test with a wooden toothpick to make sure it's cooked through. Note: The cake will rise a bit during baking and sink as it cools.
- Serve warm with a sprinkling of cacao powder.
Based on excerpts from Simple Green Meals by Jen Hansard, with the permission of Rodale Books. Copyright © 2018.
Want to learn how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.