Do you get dizzy entering a scented candle store, or does one glass of chardonnay give you a splitting headache—even the next day? After pumping gasoline into your car, are you nauseous for hours? If so, it may not be your fault. Many of us are sensitive to chemicals, certain drugs, and even natural substances to a far greater degree than our friends and family.
Everything that we inhale, touch, eat, or drink has to be metabolized through complex systems in our bodies and then excreted. This is our amazing detoxification system. For some of us, we do this very efficiently—getting rid of the toxins and waste products that this process leaves behind—but for others, strong odors, smoke, or even pleasant perfumes can make us feel sick and out of sorts for days. If this sounds familiar, you can blame your genes. Your DNA directs how your body manages to detoxify all the things you come into contact with on a daily basis.