Sometimes a beauty trend comes along that's so magical, so easy (more on that), so—well—joyous, that we have to dip our fingers (and toes) into the sparkly water. Seriously, this zodiac mani is a cinch to do and gives emphatically mood-boosting results in return for only modest effort. What's more, it's officially Gemini season, and according to the AstroTwins, a time to put dynamic duos—aka your hands—into the spotlight! Which is all to say that this DIY beauty is the perfect mirror to the astrological month of Gemini. And what's more, all the nail polishes used in this cosmic creation are nontoxic, which makes them safer for you and the environment.
"Gemini colors are green and blue, so I thought the interpretation with gold and silver starry glitter would be perfect," says Brooklyn-based freelance nail artist Crystal Leung, who created this astro mani for mbg. According to color expert Anjie Cho, how we select colors isn’t actually as spontaneous as it seems but rather is written in the stars. The hues we’re drawn to are actually dictated by our astrological sign and have the ability to counteract everything from a bad mood to anxiousness. "The vibrant tones of Gemini greens and blues mirror verdant plants and spacious open skies," says Cho. "In nature, the plants and trees just are—they don't ask us for anything but give us so much like the oxygen in the air we breathe. Charming Gemini is the sign of kindred spirit energy and is always seeking a complementary 'mirror.'"
So go forth, get painting, and embrace Gemini's potent power from now until June 20!
DIY Gemini Season Manicure
- Nail foil
- Makeup sponge
- Deborah Lipmann Nail Lacquer in Blue Orchid (light blue)
- Butter London Nail Lacquer in Minted (light green)
- Essie Nail Lacquer in Set In Stones (silver glitter)
- Starrily Nail Lacquer in King Midas (gold glitter)
- Apply your chosen basecoat to your nails and let dry. Then apply a coat of the blue, followed by a coat of the green lacquer to nails and let dry.
- Then, mix the the glitter nail polishes to a makeup sponge and carefully dab parts of the nail to add some dimension—repeat until you achieve a look you desire and let dry.
- Apply a quick-dry topcoat and then add pieces of nail foil with a toothpick or nail dotting tool around the border of your nails or in the center.
- With your topcoat brush, carefully dab areas of your nail where you wish to place your rhinestones—this will help secure the rhinestone on your nail. Use the nail dotting tool or a pair of tweezers to carefully place the rhinestones on your nail.
- Once you are happy with the placement of rhinestone art on your nails, apply a top coat to seal it all in. Let it dry and apply a second topcoat to further secure the rhinestones.
- Go flaunt 'em!