10 Reasons Why You Should Have Greens Every Day
Even though eating green veggies — especially dark leafy greens — is very important, this type of vegetable is often missing from our modern diet.
If you're health conscious, you probably know it by now, but it's also very easy to forget exactly why it's important. And if you don't really know why, you're more likely to skip your daily dose or just not have enough.
So have a look at these amazing reasons to have greens every single day!
1. Green veggies are a great source of nutrition and are packed with vitamins A, C, E, K, B, minerals and fibers.
2. They're loaded with chlorophyll. Chlorophyll can help bring energy and oxygen into your cells and is thus VERY important for our health and well-being.
3. Greens are full of enzymes, which are essential for digestion and supporting your organs. Be aware that the cooking process destroys enzymes, so you’ll get more of them if you eat your veggies raw or lightly steamed.
You can easily add some raw greens or some super greens (such as wheat grass, chlorella, or spirulina) into your smoothies for a nutritious and healthy snack.
4. Greens are packed with iron, which is very important, especially for vegans, vegetarians and women. So greens are a great option for a plant-based iron intake.
5. It has now been proven that dark leafy greens contain a good amount of carotenoids, which are a type of antioxidant that protect the cells from the early stages of cancer.
6. Greens help blood purification. They're high-alkaline foods and are thus beneficial for people who have an acidic diet (animal products, alcohol, coffee, sugar, refined and fast foods are all very acidic elements). Green vegetables will help to replenish your alkaline mineral stores and continue to filter out pollutants. This also may be beneficial to people exposed to higher amounts of pollution in urban areas.
7. Greens are rich in zinc, potassium, phosphorus, calcium and magnesium, as well as acid folic.
8. Greens improve circulation, as well as liver, gall bladder and kidney function.
9. Greens clear congestion, especially in lungs, by reducing mucus.
10. You can get extra benefits by juicing them, because even though you won't have the fiber, the nutrients, minerals and vitamins are directly absorbed by your body and are available to your bloodstream right away.
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE web class with nutrition expert Kelly LeVeque.