7 Tips To Stay Balanced During A Busy Month

Like many of you, I look forward to June all year. The rainy, spring weather gives way to beautiful, sunny skies, and I begin to anticipate hot summer days at the beach. But June can also be a very busy month! There's packing for summer camp, finals, parties, and all sorts of celebrations like graduations and weddings.

I've come to realize that June (and September) are the busiest months of the year, so I wanted to offer you quick tips to help you stay balanced. As you're busy preparing for upcoming events, remember that these preparations can take over your calendar—and your mind—more than the events themselves.

Here are some quick and simple tips for finding your center amidst the pre-summer whirlwind.

1. Think full, not busy.

Words are so powerful—in the end, you are what you think! So shift gears from the anxious, driven, never-enough-time feeling of busy to full or abundant or rich. The next time someone asks how you are, try responding with, "Life is full!" and let the harried feeling melt into an appreciation of abundance. When you shine a light on a negative thought, it disappears just like turning on a light in the room removes all the darkness.

2. Use preventive scheduling.

As you make appointments and plan your days, be kind to yourself. You can choose to schedule a stressful, busy day, or to give yourself some space to breathe or exercise. Be sure you continue your self-care regimen, too, and don’t skip your morning meditation or exercise routine. Make the choice that puts you first.

3. Take a breather. 

When you are feeling tense, remember you can use your breath for relaxation wherever you are. As you’re standing in a line or waiting anywhere, turn your attention to your breathing. Slowly breathe in to a count of 4, pause, and then breathe out to a count of 6. Begin again, 4 breaths in, pause, 6 breaths out. Stay with this count and notice how you begin to quiet inside.

4. Make a gratitude list. 

Another easy activity to do while you are waiting anywhere is to pull out your smartphone or notepad and write down 10 things you are grateful for in that moment: blue sky, an open parking space, an unexpected smile, or a green light. This always brightens my day!

5. Be generous in the moment. 

It's in giving that we receive. Let someone go in front of you in the checkout line. Give up the parking space. Let the pedestrian cross in front of you. Text a message of love or support to a friend or family member.

6. Dance! 

Turn up the tunes and dance while getting dressed in the morning, or in your kitchen to just one song—either by yourself or with whomever else is there. Let your heart sing!

7. Remember, your day always begins the night before. 

Don’t forget your bedtime, and get some sleep! This is the single best thing you can do to stay focused, calm, and happy during this extra busy time.

These days will fly by, so be sure to smile, and enjoy them. Savor the events to come because soon they will be memories that you will want to hold on to and cherish.

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!