The Perfect Spring Pizza: Crispy Kale & Roasted Asparagus
Are you sick of asparagus yet?
You should be if you're eating with the seasons!
Being a seasonal eater, I got a little too excited and bought two bunches the other weekend. With all of this asparagus, what's a girl to do?
After coming up with various asparagus recipes throughout the week (asparagus soup, grilled asparagus, poached eggs over steamed asparagus, asparagus pasta sauce), Sunday rolled around and a few asparagus shoots were left staring at me.
What better way to use them up than to add them to my Sunday night pizza party?
Thankfully, I had some spelt pizza crust waiting for me in my freezer, pumped for its spring pizza debut. To top it off, I had some fresh local kale ready to mingle.
Crispy kale and roasted asparagus pizza, here we come!
Serves 3-4 - Prep time: 7 minutes; total time: 22 minutes
- Spelt pizza crust
- 1 small ball of fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced thin
- 3-4 leaves of kale, rinsed and ripped into small pieces
- 4-6 stems of asparagus, rinsed, bottoms snapped, and chopped
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste, mixed with 1 tbsp water, 1/2 tbsp parmesan and a few dashes of red pepper flakes
- 2 pinches of sea salt
1. Prep your ingredients: Preheat your oven to 450F. Prep your cheese, kale and asparagus, chop onion, mince garlic, create tomato sauce.
2. Assemble. Spread tomato sauce over your crust, then add your cheese. Top with onions, garlic, asparagus, kale and sea salt.
3. Cook. Place your crust on a pizza stone, and into your oven. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until hot and bubbling.
4. Eat. Cut your beautiful pizza up into slices, sprinkling on some more red pepper.
Enjoy, and delight in the uniqueness and ephemeral nature of spring veggies!
Want to learn how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.