Sleep is a wonderful thing, which many of us take for granted until it eludes us! Here are is a list of 10 easy tips to improve your sleep:
9 Easy Tips To Improve Your Sleep
June 13, 2013 — 8:00 AM
- Turn off all electronics one hour before bed. This includes TV, computers, tablets, phones, etc. Let your brain relax before bed without being over-stimulated. Try reading a book or a magazine instead, or just enjoy the company of your significant other.
- Limit caffeine. If you must have caffeine, try to only consume in the morning and early afternoon. Definitely avoid caffeine after dinner and before bed.
- Shoot for 7-8 hours of sleep per night. This may seem like a lot, but your body will thank you. (In fact, people who sleep less than that are more likely to gain weight.)
- Make your bedroom your personal oasis. If you can, paint your room a calming shade, such as a light pastel color. Decorate your room with soothing pictures, scented candles, and other items that can help you relax.
- Drink most of your water by late afternoon. Limit beverages after dinner so you aren't getting up in the middle of the night to use the restroom.
- Have a bedtime, even on the days where you don't need to be up. This will help your body maintain your regular routine.
- Create a routine. It can be anything from brushing your teeth and washing your face, to straightening up the house, or reading a book. These activities signal to your brain that it's time to unwind.
- Exercise regularly. Experiment with exercise during different times of the day. For a week, try exercising in the morning and then the next week, try exercising in the evening. Take notes on how you felt throughout the day, and how your sleep was. This way you can narrow down the best time for you to exercise that will be the most beneficial.
- Limit naps. Ideally they should be 20 minutes or less, or avoid them all together.
What are some of your tips to getting a good night's sleep?