5 Delicious & Healthy Alternatives to Salt
Who isn't trying to cut down on their salt intake these days? With all of the health risks associated with too much salt intake (cancer and high blood pressure to name a few) added salt is on everyone's health radar. The problem is that after extended periods of consuming too much salt, food often doesn't seem to pack the same flavor punch without it. Below are some healthy, natural, and of course delicious flavor alternatives you can use to spice up your meals without using salt:
1. Tomato - Slowly heating tomatoes creates a rich tangy flavor, not to mention releases lycopene, a powerful cancer-fighting agent. Mash up a tomato, seeds and all, and add to the water you're using to cook rice, couscous or quinoa, or use to add flavor and nutrients to a soup base.
2. Garlic - A powerful antioxidant and powerfully flavorful, chopped, cracked, or pressed garlic can be added to just about anything to add a potent flavor. Roasted garlic can be used as a delicious salt free spread.
3. Pepper - Salt's often overlooked partner, black pepper adds a spicy and fresh touch to meals, and can help improve digestion and promote intestinal health. To fully enjoy the taste and benefits of pepper, pick up a pepper mill so that you can enjoy it freshly ground anytime.
4. Sesame Seeds - Toss a handful of sesame seeds into stir fry's, soups, salads, pastas, and even sandwiches to add a delicate nutty flavor as well as a tasty crunch. These tiny seeds are full of nutrients including zinc, iron, copper, and magnesium.
5. Lemon - Use it to add flavor to fish, chicken, or rice dishes, or lightly toss some freshly steamed veggies in it. Lemon juice adds a strong tart flavor and promotes digestive health, is high in Vitamin C, and helps to flush toxins out of your body.
image via laobserved
This post was written by Natalie Feldman