We’ve all experienced that stagnant sensation of feeling stuck. That period in life where nothing seems to be going right, and the smallest things feel exhausting. Perhaps this sensation if merely a symptom of a greater problem — what is the universe trying to tell you? What aspect of your life is the spotlight shining on to get your attention, to wake you up and make a change? In what way can you make adjustments in your life to become more aligned with your most true, highest and divinely authentic self? 

Here are some simple thought-provoking questions to get to know yourself and to spotlight why you are where you are: I encourage you to actively write down a few examples of answers to each question to continue reflecting upon. Be honest with yourself, don’t you dare be modest, and own your divine YOU-ness!

1. What are your strengths?

We all have such brilliant and beautiful things about us that make us extraordinary; it's these individual strengths that give the world balance. These strengths are so unbelievably powerful, and it's such a shame that some of us aren't expending these strengths to their highest power; for the divine good of all. What do you contain that makes you unique? What qualities, virtues or attributes do you possess that I don’t? Don’t worry about your weaknesses; compared to the sun, not much seems significant. What can you do on a daily basis to enhance those strengths?

2. Where do you thrive?

Is there a place that you go to feel most alive, vibrant, safe and fully YOU? Does your yoga mat take you to yourself? The basketball court? A place in nature? Is there a specific town you makes you feel safe and at home? Is there a certain family member, lover, or friend? 

I'm not insinuating that you need to uproot your entire life and move to the tropics. What's accessible to you right now, that you can go to that awakens your spirit? 

3. If money, education, or time were no issue, what would you do with your life?

I think we're conditioned to believe that when we “grow up,” we must go thousands of dollars into debt and spend years to attend a worthy and recognized educational institution to become something. Don’t get me wrong, I'm a firm advocate of education, and am always seeking ways to enhance my knowledge, but you don't need a title to feel defined on a scale of success. If you would enjoy writing music, opening an animal sanctuary, taking people skydiving, building custom motorcycles — you do that. And don’t concern yourself with money. Because if there's a will, and it means enough to you, the way will present itself to you.

4. What enrages you? 

What are you afraid of? I'm not being a pessimist here. Amidst discovering yourself, I encourage you to never deny your human-ness. We have egos for a reason, and what a brilliant tool the ego may be when we become aware of it and use it to our advantage. Anger will move you when nothing else can. When joy and happiness seem far away, allow your fear, or your anger, to get you out of bed and go. When you need something to get your heart pumping and your eyes to open up, think of this.

5. What are YOUR values, and what are the values of your family, society, and religion?

Take ownership of, and responsibility for your thoughts and values. Consider your current beliefs; for even just a moment, detach from an obligation to believe or not to believe anything as true or false. Create your own code of ethics; your personal 10 Commandments, 8 Limbs of Yoga, Noble Eightfold Path. 

Perhaps your personal code truly does contain values from your upbringing and you value the wisdom you've been submerged in; just be entirely honest with yourself and decide personally the degree to which you believe in these morals. I appreciate the idea of considering everything to be your bible; people, books, situations, etc. Take them in with an open mind, heart and pair of eyes, then take a moment to digest these thoughts and make a decision for yourself about that which you believe to be true.

6. Who is your role model(s)?

What qualities do they embody that inspire you? What essence do they share that you wish to contain? What mistakes have they made that you can learn from, to get you to where they are with more ease? Keep pictures of, or quotes by your personal mentors around to always be inspired by them and to go further in the direction you wish to go. 

7. Who are the five people you spend the most of your time with?

How do they make you feel? Do they encourage you and bring you up, or inhibit you and make you feel small? As much as I encourage your empowerment to own your emotions, the environment we are in does have an impact on us. Do you feel like you're always the one to bring up those around you, or is the feeling mutual? How do you feel after being with these people: inspired and relaxed, or exhausted and anxious? Do you need to make a change in the scenery of people you are currently surrounded by or create boundaries to limit your exposure to icky, draining people?

Remember, this too shall pass, and you have the power to change your life to become the greatest, most brilliant, beautiful and divine version of yourself.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

ADVERTISEMENT

Explore More