Raw Recipe: Indian-Inspired Luscious Ladoos
Growing up, the sweet aroma of Indian desserts often filled my home. Looking back, I can almost taste the goodness.
Fast forward to 2013. I'm a health advocate, toxicologist and living foodist. I've been both dairy and gluten free for years. I'm clean. I'm healthy. I'm a renewed version of me.
Still, I adore those delicious memories because they bring me back to a set of loving experiences and occasions.
Is it possible to have my cake (ladoo) and eat it too? Indeed.
As a scientist, I have a deep interest and talent in formulation and experimentation, which I've happily transfered to the raw food world. One of my favorite concoctions is my raw luscious ladoo, which brings me back to the good ol' days of being a care-free wild child.
Here's my Indian-inspired raw recipe.
Dr. Rhea's Raw Luscious Ladoos
Makes 15-20 bite-sized servings
- 1 cup raw pistachios, pre-soaked 4-8 hours
- 1/4-1/2 cup tahini (start with 1/4 cup and adjust to taste)
- 1/8-1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/8 cup natural sweetener of choice (maple syrup, coconut nectar or 3-4 pre-soaked and pitted dates; adjust to taste)
- 1/2 tsp each cinnamon and ginger powders
- pinch unrefined sea salt or himalayan pink salt
- water as needed
- Optional: 1/8 cup hemp seeds, cacao nibs and/or raw cacao (for a modern twist)
Rinse pistachios and add to food processor. Process until finely chopped.
Add remaining ingredients and process again until it becomes a wet but intact dough. Add water if dough is too dry, beginning with little and adding more as needed.
Place dough in fridge for 10-15 minutes to thicken, or immediately roll into bite-sized balls.
Garnish with shredded coconut or keep as is, and serve.
Ladoos will keep in fridge for weeks or even months, but I doubt they'll last that long!
Don't forget to smell and chew this mind-body treat. Namaste!
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.