5 Tricks For A Happy Detox

In my opinion, ditching processed foods is one of the best things you can do for your body and mind. I’m feeling so warm and nourished right now just thinking about it.

However, when you starve the bad bacteria that are so used to feeding on your sugar intake, they get a little mad. Plus, your poor liver finally has a chance to breathe after years of filtering toxins! During the first 2 - 4 weeks of eating clean, you might feel some (or all) of the following symptoms.

• Headache
  • Low energy/fatigue
  • Tummy pains (those bacteria are in agony)
  • Sugar cravings (and they want you to feed them)
  • Fogginess
  • Irritability
  • Extreme hunger
  • Extreme lack of appetite
  • Overall feeling of yuck

Detoxing is beautiful. Though the symptoms are sometimes frustrating, I always keep in mind that they're coming from a place of healing. I like to think of it as similar to cleaning out your house — during the middle of the cleanse, there's dirt and clothes and junk everywhere, and things look a whole lot worse than when you started. But you have to clean behind the couches and under the chairs, and you often discover dust that you didn't even know was there!

Luckily, there are some tricks that can make the detox a lot easier and even quicker.

1. Take an Epsom salt bath. 

Put your largest organ — your skin! — to good use. Soaking for 30 minutes or so in a bath with some Epsom salt will help to draw the toxins out of your system. Plus, it feels amazing. Toss some peppermint essential oil in there, too, and enjoy. You deserve it!

2. Take Triphala. 

For a week, take two Triphala each morning, and two at night. This ancient Ayurvedic combination of herbs will act as a pipe cleaner for your intestines. Sounds beautiful, right? It is.

3. Use oil of oregano and coconut oil. 

Oregano is a wonderfully potent natural antibiotic. Use a drop or two under your tongue for a few days during your detox to help your body fight for clarity. Coconut oil has antibacterial properties, and will help with the detoxification of your intestines. Use it whenever you can — cooking, desserts, and even in your morning smoothies.

4. Get some probiotics. 

Since you’re kicking out the bad bacteria by cutting off their life force, you should also actively replenish the good guys. Try kombucha, kefir (milk and water), sauerkraut, kimchi, and yogurt to give your flora a boost. And keep this up after your detox – it’s a good habit to have! Fermented foods also combat sugar cravings. Keep that in mind!

5. Find movement. 

Surprisingly, putting some movement into your daily routine will really help to get you out of that detox slump. Give your body the rest it needs, but also remember that stagnancy can lead to stiff muscles, slow digestion, and a sense of heaviness. So do some yoga, take a slow walk, or go out into nature with some friends. Your body will thank you.

And guess what … the detox will end! I promise. It will finally stop, your body will be clean and radiant, and you will feel absolutely marvelous.

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!