Veganize This: Lasagna (An Oil-Free Recipe)
Sometimes lasagna can be so oil-laden and heavy. (Not to mention full of meat and dairy!) However, lasagna is something that most people enjoy, and everyone can agree on wanting to eat it, regardless of their dietary inclinations. Here is a healthy version sans oil, meat and dairy, that's light enough to enjoy during the warmer months.
Healthy Oil-Free Lasagna
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 package (12.3 ounces) firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 eggplant, sliced length-wise very thinly
- 1 zucchini, sliced length-wise very thinly
- 1 package (16 ounces) lasagna noodles (I used whole wheat lasagna noodles, but brown rice lasagna noodles can make an equally delicious gluten-free version of this :)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella vegan cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour a thin layer of vegetable broth into a pan over medium heat (the entire time you cook tofu mixture, add broth as needed as it evaporates; you may not use the entire cup).
Add onion and garlic and saute until onion is a bit transparent, about 5 minutes. Add Italian seasoning and tofu and cook for 5 minutes. Mix in spinach, basil, and nutritional yeast and cook another 5 minutes.
Pour a thin layer of tomato sauce on the bottom of two loaf pans. Layer eggplant, zucchini, uncooked pasta, and tofu mixture. Starting with the sauce, repeat these layers again and top with vegan cheese.
Cover dishes with tin foil and bake for 70 minutes. Let cool at least for 10 to 20 minutes before serving.
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.