10 Ways I Learned To Stop Worrying & Get Happy

10 Ways I Learned To Stop Worrying & Get Happy Hero Image
There are so many things we can do in our daily lives to improve our health and the quality of our existence. There thousands of practices, foods and mantras that are helpful that the resources seem endless, and the options can be overwhelming at times. 

Instead of making these things fit into the life I'm already living, I've taken a look at what I've eliminated from my daily life in order to feel better. I often find that effecting a positive step forward is more about allowing and adjusting than forcing a change. 

To that end, below are 10 things I don't do anymore. The list ranges from the mundane to the profound, but in the end, they all have the same effect: a happier and healthier me. 

1. Caring that I have coffee before I practice yoga. Morning coffee is my ritual/addiction, and it's one of the best parts of my day.

2. Choosing beautiful places over beautiful people. If I'm in a beautiful place with no one important to me, it means less. People fuel me more than places — I've finally learned this.

3. Working on Sundays. Period.

4. Buying things that I don't love. I spend more, less often and have a collection of things that really speak to me.

5. Believing that I can have more than one drink without a hangover. It doesn't mean I have to pack in it and go home, but that's my limit if I want to function fully the next day.

6. Expecting plans to stay as they've been made. Things change and come together at the last minute. I roll with it much better than I used to.

7. The gym. I got a dog and grew a garden instead. Plenty of cardio and strength training, and the treadmill is a snore in comparison.

8. Charging my phone next to my bed. By plugging it in in the other room, I sleep better, and it turns out I'm out of bed earlier when I don't know what time it is.

9. Valuing shiny experiences over human connection in work. There's some glitz associated with my industry. I used to be dazzled by it, but I now realize how insignificant the fame and excitement are compared to a professional relationship of depth.

10. Not asking for the money I'm worth. I'm pretty experienced and good at some things. I deserve to be paid well for them. 

What's on your top 10 "don't do" list?

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

ADVERTISEMENT

Explore More