Consumers can aid in the effort to ensure that loose diamonds do not fund conflict. When shopping, here are four questions suggested by NGOs Amnesty International and Global Witness to test the seller's commitment to preventing trade in conflict diamonds:
1. How can I be sure that none of your jewelry contains conflict diamonds?
2. Do you know where the diamonds you sell come from?
3. Can I see a copy of your company’s policy on conflict diamonds?
4. Can you show me a written guarantee from your diamond suppliers stating that your diamonds are conflict-free?
1. Whiteflash diamonds are produced exclusively by Kimberly compliant manufacturers.
2. All Whiteflash A Cut Above® Diamonds and most ‘Expert Selection’ diamonds are produced on the same fine-make floor of our Kimberly compliant Antwerp siteholder. All diamonds brought to Whiteflash, whether from Antwerp or our known USA suppliers are in strict compliance with the Kimberly Process and the USA Patriot Act.
3. This page represents our policy and position.
4. Our unique sourcing situation allows great comfort in knowing our diamonds are conflict-free. Additionally, every diamond we bring to Whiteflash is accompanied by this written guarantee:
Every dealer should be prepared to provide you with the above written statement or words to that effect.
“Whiteflash.com has some of the finest ethically produced designer bridal jewelry available,” said Debi Wexler, president of Whiteflash.com and conflict free diamond activist. “The site offers the conscious consumer a means to connect directly to diamond beneficiation projects, such as Whiteflash’s Dreams of Africa collection in which 100% of proceeds go to help those children who have suffered under blood diamond conflicts.”
“While other companies offer commercially produced ‘green rings’ and conflict free jewelry, what makes us different is that 100% of our profits go to those who really need out help,” said Whiteflash.
Specifically, Whiteflash.com will focus on efforts to help children who have suffered from conflicts in Sierra Leone, Liberia and other African countries. Conflict or “blood” diamonds are illicitly smuggled diamonds, the sales of which are used to finance wars against countries’ legitimate governments.
Whiteflash is known for its pioneering efforts in conflict free jewelry and educating consumers with the most comprehensive trade and consumer resource on conflict free diamonds.
“We need consumers to understand that there is a huge difference between blood diamonds and conflict-free diamonds,” said Wexler. “Not all diamonds are ill-gotten. When diamond mining is undertaken in the correct manner, without child labor or government conflict, the profits build infrastructure and serve as a source of livelihood for hundreds of thousands of people. As a socially responsible design company in the diamond industry, we believe it is our duty to support children who have suffered under blood diamond conflicts and to create awareness in order to combat such illicit diamond trade.”
Whiteflash.com and WCCCI will work to establish the first learning center, headquartered in Italy, which will provide scholarships for children from Sierra Leone and other locations across Africa, and to instill values of peace and understanding during these children’s early education. Italy’s government donated land to build the learning center.
To learn more about or buy conflict-free diamonds visit Whiteflash.com
Whiteflash is the first company in the U.S. to specialize in the coveted Hearts & Arrows diamond and bring the sheer beauty of “super ideal cut” to the Internet. Debi Wexler, a computer entrepreneur founded Whiteflash in 2000 bringing an expansive selection of loose diamonds to the Internet, including an exclusive brand of Hearts & Arrows. Whiteflash A Cut Above® (ACA) is unmatched in its brilliance, fire and sparkle and remains the only Hearts & Arrows diamond sold online with advertised standards and a “true patterning” guarantee. In addition, Whiteflash offers original handcrafted platinum and gold settings, diamond engagement rings and wedding bands, custom designed engagement rings and diamond jewelry.