The concept of activation energy is that the more energy it takes for you to start something, the less likely it is that you'll do it. This is especially true when it comes to your morning workout. 

I used to be that person who worked out whenever it fit into my schedule, but now that I’ve been consistently working out in the morning it would be hard to go back to my old way. Of course, when you're faced with hitting the snooze button or putting on your running shoes, here are some tips to help ensure you choose the latter.

1. Be prepared. 

The night before, have your workout clothes ready to go. If you plan on doing yoga, have your mat set out so it takes as little effort as possible to get set up. Quite simply, you're trying to avoid any excuse you could make in the morning as to why you don’t have the time or it’s not worth it.

2. Play with time. 

As I often say, you know yourself the best. If you aren’t a morning person, start out small by going to bed five minutes earlier and waking up five minutes earlier. Try beginning with simple stretches in the morning. Before you know it, you’ll have re-worked your morning routine to include a full workout.

3. Affirmations. 

Now, this may sound silly, but it works! Before going to bed, tell yourself that you will wake up and workout tomorrow. Be excited about it and begin telling your mind how eager you are for it before your mind has a chance to turn the tables on you.  

The beauty of understanding activation energy is that the less initial energy it takes you to get up and moving, the more likely you are to follow through on your workout. In addition, if your tennis shoes are stuck behind piles of shoes, your clothes are in the laundry bin and your iPod is who knows where, you're more likely to go back to bed or start your day out negatively. 

Do what you can the night before to set yourself up for success in the morning. By taking baby steps, you’ll get to a point where your mind finally understand how good it feels to have that morning yoga class or go for that morning walk. Lastly, by telling yourself you are going to wake up in the morning and work out, you're believing in yourself. Just by repeating your affirmations the night before, you're planting the seed for morning.

Above all, working out shouldn’t be a chore, so find something you enjoy and have fun with it.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

Explore More