Hearty Banana Berry Flax Oatmeal
I’ve been experimenting with eating oatmeal for breakfast on a daily basis. My grandpa, who just turned 90, ate oatmeal every day and claims it’s his "secret". In this incarnation, I’m packing it full of protein, antioxidants, potassium, and iron. Did you know that flax seed has six-times the essential omega fatty acids than fish oil? If you are vegan or vegetarian and you’re not eating flax, you better get started! This super-food is crucial for heart, brain, and almost every organ’s health. The anti-inflammatory and cancer reducing sweet burst of blueberry is loaded with phytochemicals – and the iron and zinc-rich maple syrup and natural sweetness of the B6 and potassium-stocked banana make this a breakfast sure to give you a kick in the ass to start your day.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED (serves 2):
- 2 cups of organic oats (not instant)
- 1 cup of water
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 Tbs Maple Syrup
- 1 Large Banana
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup flax meal (ground flax seeds)
- Handful of almonds (or your favorite nut)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Combine the water, almond milk and oatmeal and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Bring down to a slow simmer and stir in the flax, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla and nuts.
- After about 5 minutes the oats should be cooked, so turn off the heat.
- Last, add the banana and blueberry – (you don’t want to cook them so they retain all their nutritional integrity).
- Serve hot!
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.