From linen shirts, to TOMS Espadrilles, to Nantucket red chinos, summer fashion has finally infiltrated the city. With the start of summer weather, we are looking into one of the most critical pieces of any summer wardrobe: the swimsuit. While it's more challenging to construct a green-er swimsuit (synthetic materials such as lycra and spandex are key fabrications in swimwear), these 6 eco-chic designers offer some hot, functional, and greener swimsuits. Whether you are swimming in South Beach, getting some vitamin D on your rooftop (with proper SPF, of course), or hanging out in the Brooklyn Bridge Park, these eco chic swimsuits will keep your body and your conscience covered.
1. Brooklyn designer Samatha Pleet's 60's inspired one piece is made in a wind-powered factory in New York. ($165)
2. The Glamour Tie Back One Piece from Kelly B is the Little Black Dress of swimsuits: chic, sexy and a staple of your wardrobe. Made from 65% bamboo, 27% organic cotton, and 8% spandex. ($136)
3. Kelly B's Vienna String Bikini is made from 65% bamboo, 27% organic cotton, and 8% spandex. All of Kelly B's suits are also made in the USA. ($110)
4. Loyale's Hermosa Bikini is a feminine and flirty choice. Made from 100% organic cotton and low-impact dyes. Loyale products are always made in the USA and Loyale contributes 1% of annual profits to the green corps.
6. The Universal Suit by Nikster in one word: HOT (yes, in all capital letters HOT). This black bikini with convertible straps is made from bamboo and 5% spandex in the USA. ($80)
This post was written by Colleen