We've all been there. We've all found ourselves in the middle of a day where everything just seems to be going all shades of crazy. It might look different for you, but I've had my fair share of moments when I just want to hit a big pause button, put myself in timeout (in this dream world of pause buttons, my timeouts are ideally in a bubble bath or on a massage table) to gather my composure and my cool, then return to real time feeling more balanced and knowing I can handle whatever is being handed to me.

Unfortunately, pause buttons for life only exist on TV and, well, there isn't much reality there anyway. In real life it's in our best interest to give ourselves that timeout in a way that allows us to move through the craziness without going crazy ourselves.

Here are five suggestions for easy ways to feel better immediately.

1. Drink something

I'm not talking about tequila. Fill up your water bottle or glass and drink some water. Drink it slowly and don't do anything else while you're drinking. I always feel better when I drink plenty of water. If you have the time, boil some water and just sip on that as is. And, if you're really needing a boost of goodness, drink some fresh, cold-pressed green juice. I'd be amazed if you didn't feel better after filling yourself with such a high density of nutrients and flavor.

2. Go outside

Go outside and look around you. For me, when things start to feel crazy, my world starts to feel very small, almost as if it's closing in on me. Going outside and looking around helps me remember that the world is vast, and that my problems are a very small part of this great big world. It helps reduce my problems to a size that's manageable and conquerable. Plus, just looking around at the beauty that surrounds me wherever I am is incredibly healing.

3. Move around. 

Get up and walk around. Just move. Shift the energy. Feel your feet as they connect with the ground and let that help you feel more grounded. This is such a good strategy to use if you feel yourself inhabiting an energetic space that doesn't feel very good when you're on an important phone call or in your office at work.

4. Take deep breaths. 

This is my favorite because it ALWAYS works. Close your eyes and take some really deep breaths through your nose, drawing the breath all the way down into the lower lobes of your lungs. It is important to breathe through the nose, as this is a deeper, more direct breath that connects to the lower lobes of the lungs and calms our state of mind. Draw the breath all the way down to this space on the inhale and be sure to exhale completely, all the way. Let the breath be soothing and nurturing.

5. Do something nice for someone else. 

It doesn't have to be a grand gesture. It could just a simple act of kindness for someone who isn't expecting it. Maybe send a text or an email to someone who you know is going through something, and let them know you're thinking about them. Or, call someone and tell them you love them. Reach out to someone who's supported you in the past and say thank you. Express kindness, gratitude and love and you will undoubtedly feel better right away.

What strategies do you have to feel better when things are kinda crazy?

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

Explore More