3 Sneaky Ways I Make My Parents Healthier

Will Smith said it best: parents just don’t understand. I’m a wellness coach. I work with my clients to build healthy habits for a happy life, but when it comes to my folks, they just don’t listen. To put it mildly, they are resistant to my suggestions. 

So what do you do when people you love don’t listen to your advice even when it’s for their own good? Go behind their back and do it for them!

Here are a few of my best tricks to making parents healthier, unbeknownst to them. 1. Do a little milk trade. 

The first time you invade the fridge, you might want to do something mild, like trade the conventional grocery store milk for local organic milk. If you're bold, kick the dairy completely, and go with an alternative like almond or hemp milk.

Local organic milk cuts out the hormones, antibiotics and toxins found in conventional milk. While everyone reacts differently to dairy, casein — one of the proteins found in milk — has been known to trigger an allergic reaction in the body, which is why a non-dairy option may be best. The key here is to replace the contents of their milk container (after you rinse it out). 2. Clean house. 

Everyone knows that common household cleaners are toxic. We keep them “out of reach of children,” away from our food and some even have the number for poison control on them. But on a regular basis we use these items in our home and spray them into the air, which means these chemicals are inhaled and absorbed into our bodies. No good. Switch from the radioactive colored cleaners to an organic brand like Greenworks or Myers. You can even make them yourself.

3. Take them on a date night. 

Sponsor a night out of the house. Instead of dinner and a movie, reserve two spots in a Zumba class! It’s exercise disguised as dance, and a lot of fun. Maybe take a long walk in the park, or a trapeze class if your parents are adventurous. The point is to get their heart rate up! Throw in one nice glass of red wine at the end. (It’s good for the heart, after all.) You might feel bad for being so masterfully deceptive, but it is out of love and for a good cause. And you can always confess afterwards, they might even thank you! Phase two is an introduction to kale and brown rice.

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!