3 Asanas To Spark Creativity

3 Asanas To Spark Creativity Hero Image
Photo: Shutterstock

Today, I was feeling drained of creativity. I was stuck, as if something was clogging up the place from which words and drawings and songs usually flow freely. And while I sat in frustration, I suddenly needed to do a shoulder stand. Something in me whispered that if I did, I would feel free. I would find my lost creativity.

And you know what? I was right!

The Vishuddha Chakra, the energy center located in the throat, is the birth place of creative expression. When it’s blocked or unbalanced, you might feel a bit dull, drained of light, life and all things expressive. To unblock it, there’s a quick asana sequence that usually does the trick.

1. Shoulder stand (Sarvangasana)

Stand at the top of your mat and gently lower yourself down to lie on your back. Take a moment here and recognize your intentions. What do you wish to create? To imagine? To manifest? Using your hands to support your lower back, lift both legs high in the air, and bring the rest of your back off of the mat, as if you’re being held by the toes. Make sure that you don’t turn your head, as you may injure your neck. Focus all of your energy on the point where your chin meets your chest. You may hum a bit, if that feels right, and notice how the energy radiates.

2. Plow (Halasana)

From shoulder stand, you can gently lower your legs behind your head, maintaining the support on your back, until your toes meet the Earth. If they don’t touch, that’s ok. Just continue to support your spine, and focus your energy on your throat. If your toes do touch, you may lace your fingers and lower your arms to the mat under you.

ADVERTISEMENT

3. Ear-Knee Pose

From Plow, you may drop your knees down to hug your head. If you feel that this is too much of a stretch, you can remain in plow for a moment longer instead. Find comfort here, cradled within yourself. This is home.

Straighten your knees back into halasana, then lift your toes back up into shoulder-stand. Support your back once more, and gently roll out of the posture, back into Savasana. Breathe slowly, and with intent. You are a creative, vibrant being!

Explore More