Why We Need To Rebrand Yoga
In marketing, positioning is defined as the place where a word, person, or event rests within someone’s mind. Yoga’s current position is often associated with the following ideas: For women only, and, Only flexible people can do it, It’s like a religion, or, It’s not enough of a workout.
While positioning is not an exact science, it does provide much-needed insight into how people think about a specific topic. And it’s time to reposition yoga.
We need to rebrand yoga because:
- We're stressed beyond what our bodies and minds can often handle.
- We're eating, smoking, or drinking to excess to deal with the stress.
- We're bombarded with an overabundance of information on a daily basis.
- We're taking too many unnecessary medications.
- Our financial and political systems continue to struggle.
- Our planet needs an improved ecosystem for future prosperity.
In short, we need to reposition yoga so that more people can increase their self-awareness and rededicate their lives to an improved state of mental, physical and spiritual balance.
We can reposition yoga by:
- Placing more men on the covers of yoga magazines.
- Creating a “Got Yoga” media campaign featuring athletes, movie stars, and other recognizable personalities telling their stories about the role of yoga in their life.
- Increasing the presence of yoga in the K-12 school system.
There are a variety of other strategies to reposition yoga as well. If we can at least recognize that the time is right for a concerted effort to help people better understand yoga, perhaps we can collectively take the much-needed first step to doing so.
Yoga is incredible for keeping your body & mind healthy. Ready to learn about how the power of food can also create a sound body & mind? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.