3 Steps To Organize Your Creativity

I'm not the most organized person you'll ever meet. Anyone who's ever spent more than 10 minutes around me, or the lucky few who have seen the inside of my car, can attest to this. I enter a room with what appears to be a conservative amount of necessities inside of my bag, and poof! Ten minutes in and the entire contents of said bag are flung helter-skelter in every direction.

When you're in a creative business of any kind, whether it's freelance writing or teaching yoga, organizational skills are of the utmost importance. I learned the hard way how to make peace with my procrastination and become besties with my highlighting markers, and I'm here to help you do the same.

1. Clear your space.

It is super difficult to get anything done when your workspace is a mess. Pick a space where you're going to spend your time planning, thinking and writing, and make it your official working area. Pick a spot by the window, if possible, so you still get a little sunshine and can peek out at nature occasionally for inspiration. Keep your computer, a notebook, or whatever else you need, and get rid of the rest. Throw out papers that you don't need, or get some pretty boxes or baskets to keep it all in. Do your best to keep your workspace clean. That means not leaving half-full cups of tea and plates with crumbs left over from snack time lying about. If you have a cluttered workspace, you will have a cluttered mind, and you need a clear head to receive inspiration and cultivate your creativity.

2. Get in tune with your creative time.

My Prakriti, or Ayurvedic Constitution, is often heavily Kapha, and therefore it is crucial for me to wake up early (6 a.m.!) and get moving to prevent my sluggish nature from taking over my entire day. If I sleep until noon (or even until 7 a.m., honestly), I might as well stay in bed all day cuddling my puppies, because I'm not about to get anything done.

Morning time is my most creative time of the day. I can sit down with hot cup of tea, blast some Zero 7 on my Pandora, and I can whip out a laundry list of writing pieces and class outlines in a couple of hours. So, pay attention to when you are feeling most creative. You can even take this Dosha quiz to help you figure out what time of day is most productive for you.

3. Write it down.

This is, in my opinion, the most important organizational tool of all. I carry a small notebook with me wherever I go to write down ideas whenever they strike me. Standing in line at the grocery store and an idea for a heart-opening Gentle Yoga class comes to mind? Write it down! No idea is too silly or unimportant or unrelated. Writing down ideas, even if they're not great, aids in the creative process. That way, when you sit down at 6 a.m. to write or draw or paint, you have a notebook full of ideas to get you started. Happy creating!

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!