7 Inspirational Quotes From Maya Angelou
Poet, activist, memoirist, actress, and professor — Maya Angelou, one of the great American voices of the past century, has died at age 86.
Angelou became a household name in 1993, when she delivered an inaugural poem, "On the Pulse of Morning," at Bill Clinton's swearing-in, the first writer to serve in such capacity since Robert Frost at John F. Kennedy's inauguration in 1961.
Angelou's multivolume memoir, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, is considered an American classic.
Here are seven of our favorite Maya Angelou quotes as we mourn her passing:
1. "If you have only one smile in you, give it to the people you love."
2. "Lift up your eyes upon / This day breaking for you. / Give birth again / To the dream."
3. "Have enough courage to trust love one more time and always one more time."
4. "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
5. "Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it."
6. "I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a bitch. You've got to go out and kick ass."
7. "My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style."
Want to know if you should you go Keto? Paleo? Deciding what to eat to feel your best shouldn’t be complicated. We’ve removed the guesswork to give you all the best nutrition tips & tools, all in one place. Ready to kickstart your health journey? We’re here to guide you.