4 Natural Remedies For Cold & Flu Season
While the best cure for cold and flu is prevention, it's also great to be prepared with natural remedies if and when sickness strikes.
Here are several essential oils that can help your body fight infection and prevent the spread of airborne bacteria and viruses.
The Thieves blend is a highly antiviral, antiseptic, antibacterial and anti-infectious oil. (Yes, that is a lot of power in one tiny bottle!) The singular essential oils in the blend are what make this so effective! It includes clove, lemon, cinnamon bark, eucalyptus, and rosemary. The best ways to use this oil (and the oils below, except where noted) are:
- Diffuse (in half hour increments) in room to keep the air purified and to keep your family healthy.
- Rub a drop or two on the bottom of feet. I always do this before I fly or enter densely populated areas where germs abound.
- 1 drop in a glass of water and drink.
- Drop 2 to 4 drops in water and gargle as needed.
- Dilute 50/50 with vegetable oil and apply to throat and back of neck before applying a warm compress.
- Put 2 to 6 drops in a small spray bottle (glass, NOT plastic) and fill with water. Spray counter tops, bathtubs, toilets, sinks, yoga mats, door knobs etc. Or use as a throat spray to alleviate sore or scratchy throat.
2. Tea Tree
You may already be familiar with Tea Tree Oil as a natural disinfectant as many yoga studios use a blend of Tea Tree and water as a natural cleaner for mats and props before and after class. Tea Tree is a powerful antibacterial oil, so is also commonly used in natural beauty products. The fragrance of this oil promotes cleansing and purity, so it is also a great natural remedy for cold and flu. Tea Tree should always be diluted with a carrier oil before applying to skin and can be used in most of the ways listed above, but should not be ingested.
Pine, which is steam distilled directly from the needles of the tree, was first used by Hippocrates for its benefits to the respiratory system. It is known for treating throat/lung/sinus infections and can be used as a powerful decongestant.
To relieve nasal congestion, combine 2 drops of Pine with 3 drops of Lemon and 3 drops of Eucalyptus and diffuse. Pine should also be diluted with a carrier oil before being applied directly to the skin.
This is one of the key ingredients in the Thieves blend listed above and has been used by healers in China and India since ancient time as it is known for its immune-enhancing properties. Clove is a strong oil, so should be diluted 1 part clove to 4 parts carrier oil for topical application or ingestion. You can apply 1 drop to the back of the tongue to relieve the tickling cough that often lingers at the end of a cold and it can also be diffused for antiviral properties.
Please leave a comment below with your favorite natural remedies for cold and flu!
Want to learn how feng shui can help you create a high-vibe home and set powerful intentions to manifest your dreams? This is feng shui the modern way - no superstitions, all good vibes. Click here to register for a free session with Dana that will give you 3 tips to transform your home today!