High-Fiber Apple Crumble Recipe
This high-fiber apple crumble pie is a firm favorite with my son, who loves apples and cinnamon. It’s possible to make a low-sugar version by replacing the sugar with artificial sweetener.
- 4 Apples, peeled and sliced (I like Pink Lady or Red Delicious)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 cups crushed graham wafers (place the wafers in a plastic baggie and crush with a rolling pin)
- 3 tablespoons softened olive oil margarine
- 3 tablespoons plain instant oats (dry)
- 2 teaspoons wheat germ
- 3 tablespoons sugar (can be replaced with artificial sweetener)
- Half a teaspoon cinnamon
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350F or 180C.
2. Place the apples and maple syrup in a large microwave safe dish, cover and cook in the microwave for two minutes on High. Don't add water.
3. Crumble mixture: Mix all the topping ingredients well together, making sure it is well combined. You can crumble it with your hands.
4. Spread the apple mixture evenly in a greased pie dish.
5. Top the apples with the crumble topping mixture and spread evenly.
6. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream.