Hemp seeds have a wonderful, mild, nutty flavor that makes them extremely versatile in many recipes. You can use them to make amazing salad dressings and dips, like the one I have to share with you today, to throw into salads or on top of cooked veggie meals, made into raw desserts, stuffed into dates or celery sticks for a quick snack, or blended with water, then strained, to make a luscious hemp seed milk.
The fact that hemp seeds have a fabulous nutritional profile is a huge bonus given how yummy they are.
If you’ve ever struggled to find a good source of vegan protein, look no further. Hemp contains 11 grams of protein per 3 tablespoons, as well as all 10 essential amino acids.
In addition, hemp has a unique makeup of protein that gives an amazing boost to the immune system. Hemp seeds are also very high in essential omega-3 fats.
It's helpful to focus on consuming plant fats high in omega-3s like chia, flax and hemp seeds the majority of the time, instead of plant fats higher in omega-6 and 9 (like most nuts, other seeds, avocado and vegetable oils) to ensure you get enough of these harder-to-obtain omega 3s.
Not convinced or new to using hemp seeds? Let this recipe show you how tasty they are!
Creamy Raw Hemp Cilantro Dip
- 1/2 cup of hemp seeds
- 2 cups of zucchini, chopped
- 1-2 cloves of garlic (to taste)
- 1 handful of coriander/cilantro
- 1 handful of dill
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Juice of half a large lemon
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Add all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. If you don’t have a high-powered blender, you may need to add just enough water to get the mixture blending. Add very little water to avoid the dip being too runny.
2. Serve with vegetable crudités, raw crackers, romaine leaves, cabbage leaves, over a big salad, steamed vegetables or over a bowl of your favorite whole grains or whole grain pasta. It will taste delicious every way!
3. What’s your favorite recipe using hemp seeds? Please do share the love in the comments below!