5 Rainbow Color Tricks To Jumpstart Creativity

Color is more than just artistic — color is energy and energy is life force! When we talk about color influencing and generating life, it's important to take a quick look at what color actually is: vibration processed through the eyes (or other senses) to create an effect.

Color is processed by the brain and body in a multitude of intensely interesting ways. Psychologically, every color has an impact on us that we may feel emotionally or even physically. Red, for example, can incite anger, passion, energy, and can even warm your body and raise your blood pressure. Green can be calming to some, and to others it can invite jealousy (think of the phrase, “green with envy”). Some people also have memories associated with color. Every time I see lemon-yellow I am instantly reminded of my childhood bedroom in New Jersey.

In feng shui, color also has elemental properties. Everything in this world is composed of five elements — wood, fire, water, earth, and metal — and there are colors that correlate with each of the elements. These elemental properties can enhance or overwhelm your organs, your spirit, and your overall life. For example, the color orange can increase your circulation, cheerfulness, and warmth with its "fire element" nature. Blue is a color of the water element, and the water element is all about fresh starts, new ideas, emotional bubbling up inside, flowing with the energy in your life and cooling off physically. Temperature, temperament and even the speed at which you operate are affected by color and the elements. While the study of elements is vast and I am touching on the surface, suffice it to say that elements shine a light on how profoundly color can affect us.

A rainbow found in nature is a creative wonder because it contains all color, all vibration, and all elemental nature at once. Rainbows are also ephemeral, fleeting, and rare, and are therefore even more special and majestic!

Harnessing the color power of a rainbow, even in small ways, can inject a greater sense of that missing majesty and wonder into your creative expression. If you are feeling dry, dull, bored, stuck, or otherwise uninspired, a rainbow may kick-start a revitalized life. If you're an artist, some extra rainbow energy may breathe new life into your work. Just about everyone could use a dose of a rainbow spectrum.

Here are a few clever ways to integrate some rainbow energy into your life:

1. Eat a rainbow of color on your plate.

Perhaps once a day, try to integrate a bit of every color under the sun into a soup, a salad, or a composed meal. A holistic nutritionist tried to put me on a diet that demanded every meal was a rainbow, but too much of a good thing can become very bad! The take-away from my frantic period of rainbow eating (I was always so stressed, looking for a missing color) was that I was generally missing purples, blues, and reds on my plate. When I mixed them in, I felt fantastic!

We eat with our eyes as well as our mouths, and the stimulation of seeing a rainbow on your plate creates a very exciting dining experience. This little trick of rainbow eating — even once a day or a few times a week — can walk you deeper into the produce aisle or farmer’s market to pluck purple carrots, golden tomatoes, blueberries, rhubarb, cabbage, or pumpkin, and you'll never want to turn back!

2. Hang a crystal mobile, chandelier, or even a pendant near a sunny window. 

Watch your home light up with mini-rainbows everywhere when the sun streams through!

3. Buy yourself a Spin Art kit and make some rainbow-strewn art. 

You can buy the child or adult version, but I love the kid's one! You might be surprised that your spin art and the famous, multi-million dollar pieces by artist Damien Hirst are not too far apart in their wow-factor. You can find a spin art kit for less than $20 online, and with that kit you can make a wall full of rainbows.

4. Change your computer background and screensaver to a rainbow spectrum or a radically colored piece of art. 

You can do the same for your iPad or phone. Little doses of rainbow sometimes do the trick!

5. Get a box of crayons, pastels, or markers.

My favorite choice is the rainbow kit of ultra-fine Sharpies! Keep them within reach at your desk. I put my Sharpies in an old mug, and I find myself reaching all day for different colors, almost intuitively, to get my ideas organized, sketch, doodle, and write.

It’s all very simple, but color is so powerful: rainbow energy rocks! Incorporate more rainbows into life and watch the playfulness and joy bubble and flow!

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!