5 Easy Ways To Rid Your Home Of Toxins

Cleaning your house is necessary, but it doesn’t have to be evil. I used to dread cleaning day, anticipating the harsh smell of chemicals I purchased to disinfect my kitchen and bathroom. The toxins and fumes in most commercial products would leave me with nothing but cracked hands and a headache. I switched to organic products, but even they can be hazardous. I started to explore an all natural approach to cleaning my home, and soon I was making my own products.

I was surprised to learn that many everyday items such as baking soda, castile soap, Murphy’s Oil and white vinegar were among the items I needed to make my own supplies. Most of us already have these inexpensive items in our home. I added in a few other ingredients, two or three spray bottles and some essential oils. Before I knew it, cleaning became an experience that I actually enjoyed.

Below are a few of my favorite cleaning potions for you to try in your home:

1. Dishwashing Liquid

• 22 ounce plastic spray bottle
  • liquid castile soap (this can be purchased at Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods)
  • 20 drops lemon essential oil
  • 10 drops sweet orange essential oil

Fill the spray bottle with castile soap, diluting slightly if necessary. Add the essential oils. Always shake before using.

2. Kitchen Sink Cleaner

• ¼ cup baking soda
  • ½ cup vinegar
  • 3 drops of an essential oil of your choice. I love lemon, lime or orange for the kitchen.

Combine all of the ingredients. Rinse the sink with hot water, and then pour the cleaner into the sink. After wiping with a wet sponge, rinse again with hot water. This is safe for porcelain and stainless steel sinks.

3. Floor Cleaner

• 1 gallon of hot water
  • 2 tablespoons of castile soap
  • 10 drops pine essential oil

Combine all ingredients in a large bucket and mop floor as you would with a commercial cleanser. No need to rinse after cleaning.

4. Toilet Bowl Cleaner

• ½ cup baking soda
  • ¼ cup vinegar
  • 12 drops tea tree oil to disinfect

Combine all ingredients, pour into the bowl and brush.

5. For Bookcases, Coffee tables, etc.

• plastic spray bottle
  • ½ cup Murphy’s Oil (or another oil soap of your choice)
  • ¾ cup water
  • 5 drops patchouli
  • 15 drops cedar essential oil

Combine all of the ingredients in a spray bottle and shake. Spray on tables and shelves and wipe with a soft, dry cloth.

After discovering this all natural and nontoxic way of caring for my home, I no longer view cleaning as a chore. It’s more like a sacred ritual where I get to wipe away the grunge of the past week and have a sweet smelling and clean pallet on which to color my future.

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!