Spicy Butternut Squash Soup
So to celebrate the last of this moderately cold winter we've had here in Sunny California... I am making this especially warm, yummy, comforting soup. To all of you who are looking for some warmth in your life. I hope this helps!
- 1 small red onion
- 1 Butternut squash
- 1 celery Stalk (meaning the bunch, not one stick)
- 2 bell peppers
- Cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- Jalapeno pepper or Serano
- 1 box of veggie broth
- 1 garlic bulb (means 1 whole garlic, not just 1 clove)
- Olive oil for roasting veggies.
Preheat your oven to 450.
Peel and cut butternut squash into pieces.
Cut bell peppers and remove stems/seeds.
Cut off the top of the garlic bulb and rub oil on top part as well.
Rub a bit of olive oil on all pieces and place on baking sheet and put in oven.
Roast garlic and bell peppers for 25 minutes. Remove from heat.
Keep squash in for an additional 20-25 minutes, until soft and roasted :)
While veggies are roasting....
- Chop up cleaned and rinsed celery, and red onion into small pieces.
- Sautee onions and celery in a big pan, (enough to fit 1 box of veggie broth in it after sautéing)
- Once onions and celery are a little brown, sauteed well enough to where flavor is coming out :)
- Add the veggie broth and cook for about 3-5 more minutes, until its simmering all nicely together.
Take out your blender and put half of the roasted squash,bell peppers, and half of the celery, onion, broth mix in the blender and blend. (Mine doesnt fit all at once, so I blend in two separate batches.)
After pureeing your first half, pour into a big pot (that will fit all of the soup your blending.)Now blend the other half with the jalapeno pepper, if you like it spicy. Add your cayenne pepper as well if you like it even spicier.
Now pour the second half in with the first half into the big pot. Turn on a low heat. Cook for about 10 more minutes, with lid on, a low heat. And voo la! There you have it. The creamiest, yummiest, home made soup!
So healthy, might I add.
Top with my cashew cheeze recipe for even more flavor!
Krysten's Quick Cashew Cheeze
- 1 cup cashews
- 3 cloves of garlic
- sea salt, to taste
- jalapeno pepper (can be omitted)
- black pepper, to taste
- juice of half lemon
Blend in food processor. Now add 1/2 cup water.
Let process until very, very creamy. Add more or less water for your own desired consistency.
Ready to learn more about how to unlock the power of food to heal your body, prevent disease & achieve optimal health? Register now for our FREE Functional Nutrition Webinar with Kelly LeVeque.