6 Ways To Stop DOING And Start BEING

I’m not a huge fan of New Year’s Resolutions. I think every day, not just one day a year, we should assess where we are, how we’re doing, what makes us happy and what we want to improve or work towards.

As we enter the new year, though, I’ve been thinking of some ways I’d really like to BE more of in 2013.

You may consider these as well or make your own To BE list: 

1. Be enthusiastic! 

Entusiasm is such a wonderful quality. My mother is one of the most enthusiastic people I know, she's always up for a good time and she celebrates life to the fullest.

I really want to be as enthusiastic as I can about my life. We only have one life to live and now is the time to remind ourselves to get psyched about it!

2. Be kind! 

Kindness and compassion go a very long way. We first need to start with being super kind to ourselves; and then spread that warmth and kindness to everyone around us.

It really makes such a difference truly listen to ourselves and others, to smile inside and out and to give ourselves and others daily treats. Whether it’s positive affirmations or mini foot rubs, kindness is an extremely important trait and it goes along way.

3. Be curious! 

If there’s one thing my yoga practice has taught me over all these years, it’s to be curious and childlike and to remain open to new ways of seeing things. When we lose our curiosity, we get stuck in our ways and we can become bitter and boring.

Every day is a new day to explore something out of the ordinary. Pick up a musical instrument, read different books, try out new yoga styles or classes, explore your inner and outer world. When we get so curious about where our little toe is in Tree Pose, we learn to love and cherish even the tiniest things in life.

4. Be confident! 

This is one that is tough for me. I often struggle to truly believe in myself and trust my inner guide. If nothing else, though, “fake it till you make it” is a good motto to have. Pretend your the most confident person in the world and soon enough you’ll become more and more secure about yourself.

People love to be around confident people so remind yourself it’s not arrogant at all to be proud of who you are and to lead from a true place of self.

5. Be grateful! 

An attitude of gratitude goes a long way. If you can start and end your day with 5 things you are thankful for, you’ll have a more positive outlook on life, feel happier and be healthier. Envy, jealousy, fear, or a feeling of not having enough can truly start to make us feel miserable and sick. If you see something you truly want or admire in someone else, take baby steps to grow more in that direction.

By taking inventory of everything you already have (and of course everything you could possibly ever want, have or need, is right here inside of you!), you’ll recognize you have most everything you need. Being home in Idaho and looking at the mountains and knowing I’m surrounded by so many people who love me, it just doesn’t get much better than that!

6. Just be! 

Most importantly, just BE! We aren’t human DOings, we’re human BEings. So every day this new year, carve out a few minutes or more to just be. Let yourself daydream, lie on the floor in Goddess pose, sit still and watch your breath, stare outside the window and let your mind wander.

Give yourself a chance to fully be and soon enough you’ll notice a whole new way of seeing the world and of living fully and presently in each and every moment.

Related Posts

Your article and new folder have been saved!