5 Reasons To Say Yes To Seaweed
Seaweed is a superfood that is known to improve overall health and wellbeing. We can maximize our vitality if we include sea vegetables in our diets.
Here are some reasons to eat sea veggies:
1. Seaweed contains all essential amino acids- (vegan protein source!).
2. Seaweed contains a functional balance between omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
3. Seaweed is fat free and low-cal.
3. Seaweed contains virtually all the minerals found in the ocean.
4. Sea vegetables are an excellent source of Iodine and Vitamin K, a very good source of the B-vitamin
folate, and Magnesium, and a good source of Iron and Calcium, and the B-vitamins riboflavin and pantothenic acid.
5. Seaweed tastes delicious!
That said, the average seaweed salad at your Japanese restaurant could use a little boost. Most of them contain processed sugar, and some contain fish sauce, which is a no-no to the average vegan.
Hope you enjoy mine!
Re-vamped seaweed salad with greened-out ginger dressing
- 2 cups leaf lettuce
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red cabbage
- 1 large cucumber, chopped
- 1/4 cup arame (soaked in water for about 10 minutes, and then drained)
- 2 nori sheets, ripped apart
- sprinkle of fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut or apple cider vinegar
- sprinkle of dulse flakes, for garnish
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
Greened-Out Ginger Dressing
- 1 small piece fresh ginger, about 2 inches long
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- stevia- to taste, 3 dates, or 1 tsp raw honey
- 1 small piece garlic- optional
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Blend all ingredients in a Vitamix.
To assemble on the plate, lay out a bit of dressing on the bottom of the plate. Add a generous portion of the mixed salad, and top with a bit of dressing or decorate your plate like I did.