5 Steps to Creating Your Dream Career

We spend more time at work than we do at home with loved ones. So surely we should be doing something we enjoy.  

Are you doing what you love? 

Do you wake up in the morning buzzing and ready for work? Or do you hate the alarm clock and dread the daily grind?

I know what it's like to feel stuck in the wrong job. After studying Psychology at University, I hadn't a clue what I wanted out of a career and wound up working in the Human Resources department of a local law firm. My focus was on people, which has always been an interest of mine. During the first few years, I really enjoyed the work and thought I was on the right path. 

Cut to seven years later: I was working in the HR department of one of Australia's leading law firms thinking, Wow! I've really got it made! I had a great salary, great team, interesting work and the potential for career growth at a great company ....  but I was unhappy and didn't feel enthusiasm going to the office each morning. I wanted to love my job but didn't and I couldn't explain why I felt down. 

Through a colleague, I was introduced to Transcendental Meditation. Learning this technique helped clear my head of negativity and gain some clarity. It took an emotional year of discovering who I truly am and what matters to me to figure out that the problem was my career. 

I realized that for a more fulfilling life, I needed to follow my heart and do what I loved. My heart urged me toward the field of health and wellbeing, and here I am today, setting up my own health coaching practice. 

I know first-hand that a career change is a major life event which takes a lot of time and commitment. It can be challenging financially, emotionally, but if the end result is happiness, it's all worth it.  

When you are doing something you love, it will never feel like work and you will hug the alarm clock every morning! It doesn't matter how old you are or how qualified you are in your current field, anyone can make a career move for a more fulfilling life. 

Ask yourself if you're born to do what you currently do. If you're unhappy, prepare to take the plunge by following the steps below. 

Here are 5 steps to begin creating your dream career.

1. Research all your options. 

What avenues can you take to reach your desired career? Will you be required to study? Can you use the skills your already have? Can you afford to take an unemployment break? Can you go part-time? 

Figure out all the options and decide which is the best for you financially and how long it will take you to reach the end goal. Also, jot down any foreseeable obstacles that may come your way so you are prepared and ready to take action.

2. Take the Myers-Briggs Test. 

Perhaps you know you want a change, but don't know which route to take. The Myers-Briggs test is based on a typo-logical approach to personality. It establishes what careers are more suitable for your personality type, strengths and weaknesses. This test can be found on many online sites (expect to pay a small fee) and is offered by certain career centers and counselling providers.

3. Find support. 

During your career change you will need someone to support you emotionally through the ups and downs and will continue to encourage you to follow your dream. Find a rock, lean on it and remember to thank them for being there.

4. Stay focused. 

Establish what your career goal is and why you are making this change. Write it down and refer back to it when you need some personal encouragement and a reminder of how great you will feel doing something you love everyday for a living.

5. "Let the beauty of what u love be what u do." (Rumi) 

I wrote this quote on my mirror during my career change. It made me smile and inspired me every day to do what I love. Use this quote or one that is meaningful to you to stay positive and fill yourself with happiness every day.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com

Explore More