Mushroom Curry with Rice Noodles
This mushroom curry topped with slivered almonds is 100 percent pure deliciousness!
Cooking time: 40 minutes, Serves 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander (ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- pinch cinnamon
- 1/4 cup golden raisins (optional)
- One 14.5-oz. can of peeled, diced tomatoes
- 3/4 can of coconut milk (or lowfat coconut milk)*
- 1 package of rice noodles (rice may be substituted for noodles)
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
Heat olive oil in a wok or skillet over medium heat until very hot. Add onions and stir-fry for 10 minutes until translucent. Add garlic, ginger, and bay leaf and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Add salt, pepper, spices, raisins, and tomatoes. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
Heat water in large pot for noodles. Cook noodles according to package.
Add coconut milk to vegetables and cook on medium heat for 5-8 minutes. Be careful not to boil. Discard bay leaf. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Drain and rinse noodles and serve in individual portions or in one large serving dish. Top with curry, garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and slivered almonds, and serve.
* Tip: Use the remaining coconut milk to thin leftover curry sauce.
Watch this video for an eye-opening glimpse of where your food comes from and see how The Humane Society of the United States can help you stand up for animals, the planet, and your health—simply by sitting down to eat.