When I think about fall, many things come to mind: pumpkins, leaves changing color, cooler temperatures, sweatshirts, apples, and the holidays.
Aside from many, many other wonderful things fall brings, it's a time when I feel the most motivated to participate in some outdoor exercise.
For many, the summer heat of Los Angeles can be a little overwhelming. Sure, we all love to be outside in the sun, but do we want to exercise in the sun? Sweating without even elevating the heart rate is sometimes all we mentally want...
I find that fall is a great time to get in some excellent runs. Because of the drop in temperature, you have to work up a little internal heat to keep you warm.
If you aren't building that heat, then you aren't working hard enough, therefore you are cold and unsuccessful in your workout.
Plus, doesn't the air just feel a little nicer in the fall?
So what does running have to do with Pilates?
1) Pilates strengthens your core (abdominals and lower back)
2) Corrects posture imbalances
3) Helps develop strong lungs
4) Elongates muscles for a longer gate in your stride and makes your more flexible
5) Reduces the risk of injury
6) Strengthen legs laterally (which running does NOT do)
If you practice Pilates once a week, you'll begin to see results. Put that Pilates body to use and go run outside. Make a path of your own and find your running adventure! You might even be inspired to run in the mud :)