Whether you’re paralyzed by your to-do list, dealing with a tragedy, or just miserable in your job, remember that you're not alone. There are dozens, maybe hundreds or thousands, of people who feel just like you. 

Here are some ways that help me get out of my funk: 

1. Get moving!

The worst thing to do when you feel discombobulated is to sit around and let your thoughts fester. The more you sit and do nothing, the more you will (probably) over-analyze everything. (I decided to write this post because I feel like my world is a little upside down!) 

Whether you like to write, run, do yoga, play paintball, or dance in the rain, find something that is therapeutic and healthy! 

2. Talk to someone. 

I recommend talking to some who is capable of being unbiased and level headed. If you can find a friend who will remain neutral, share what’s bothering you. 

Most of the time, when we are going through a crisis, just speaking it aloud helps to clear our minds. I almost never want advice; I just want someone to listen to me. 

When I do need advice, I know I need someone who can play the devil’s advocate and help me see the side of the story which I previously didn’t see. And as cliché as it is, there is a silver lining to every situation. Talk it out and see if you can find it. 

3. Play hooky. 

While you may not be able to jet away to an exotic locale, you can play hooky from work and have a mental vacation. I do realize we can’t all just get up and go to Tahiti when things get tough, but maybe you just need to pamper yourself at home, meditate, or simply take a nap.  Try whatever you need to do to “get away from it all.”

It’s important not to dwell on problems. When you’re able to focus your brainpower on something other than the problem, you free your mind and provide it with the ability to process everything. 

With a new level of clarity, you’ll be surprised at how much better you will feel. Oftentimes, you’ll have the solution right in front of you; you just didn’t see it right away.

Explore More