3 Tips to Be More Compassionate to Yourself

I believe that if people can find more compassion within themselves they can transform every aspect of their lives. Compassion is an important tool for personal growth and overall health. 

Negative energy and emotions stifle your ability to stay healthy and keep you stuck in frustration rather than flow. Let's get past those feelings of defeat and step into more loving thoughts toward ourselves and our bodies.

I'm willing to bet that many of you reading this have many compassionate thoughts for other creatures less fortunate than yourself, including people and animals. We can care so deeply for others, yet when it comes to ourselves we can become negative and even nasty. 

How do we translate the feeling of compassion for others to compassion for ourselves?

1. Change your thought patterns.  

Your thoughts can be out of control. One minute you're thinking about dinner and the next you're commenting on how fat you look in your outfit today. You need to change the negative pattern.

I'm not saying you can control your thoughts. Thoughts happen and I have yet to meet someone who has complete control over his or her thoughts all the time. What I'm saying is that you can choose which thoughts to believe. 

You see, what you think is not who you are but it will define who you become. When you find that nagging voice in your head telling you that you are fat, gently and compassionately redirect your thoughts to a more loving attitude. When I start hearing that negative mind chatter, I simply say Thank you but no thank you and I move on. With time, this technique becomes easier.

2. Stop Judging. 

Your inner judge is always on duty. Whether you're thinking of yourself or your neighbor, your mind is certainly making a judgement. It's what it does and it has its purpose. But how many times a day do you think, I'm stupid, or I feel ugly today? Or do you ever catch yourself commenting on a co-worker's outfit in your head? That is your mind passing judgement.

The reality is that you aren't stupid or ugly and what your co-worker is wearing is irrelevant to your life. The trick is recognizing when the judgement is happening and redirecting your thoughts.

3. Care for Yourself. 

This is a big one. So many people overlook this because they feel they don't have time or it's not important. It is SO important. You need to take time for yourself every single day. You can be of no service to the world and the people you love if you feel frazzled and depleted. Even if it's only five minutes a day, do something that you love. Something that will recharge your battery. (Hint: It's not television!) 

When you give yourself permission to feel good, you are unconsciously telling yourself that you care. So go ahead and get a massage, or exercise, or even eat a piece of chocolate if it's what you really want. The key is to do something every day that will serve you.

These three tools are powerful and transformative. With practice it becomes very natural. Honestly, the world could use a little more compassion. So let's start from the inside. As Ghandi said, "Be the change you wish to see in the world."

Explore More